E-SSC

The batteries are dead, the ESC's are smokin', combat's over and I ain't jokin'. Let us know how the smack-down went!

Moderator: hbartel

drewjet

E-SSC

Post by drewjet »

I thought I would start a topic in what I believe to be the proper spot.

Last weekend in Boca Slam and I debuted the E-SSC plane. As a long time hater of the .15 engine, not to mention all the slime and smell that goes with nitro, we decided to try and see if electrics really could compete in SSC. We had a long discussion about it on our way back from the last contest we were at. We decided that we needed to spin the same prop at the same RPMs as the nitros would, otherwise someone may try and say its not fair. Having been an electric flier for several years now, I knew this would be tough, even in today's much improved brushless motors and hi output Lipos. I had a chat with Wes "Sheepy" Paramater. He pointed us in the direction of a Mega Brushless motor. But he was not 100% on which wind. So I did some researching and testing and found the 22/20/3. It seemed to be a capable motor, could handle up to 70 Amps and has a robust 5mm shaft. I bought one and started testing. To my amazement it spun the MA blue 8X3 prop right at 17400 RPM. I could not have asked for it any better. Not wanting to come off with too exotic of a design at our first contest we both built planes from the "Flat bat". We have been using this bat for many years winning and placing in many contest. I have only had to replace 2 bats in over 3 years of use. I think Slam has replaced 4. Needless to say they are tough. We contacted the contest committee to get approval for a wavier allowing the plane to fly and also to remove the claiming rule, as our motors are well over the $65 limit imposed by the rules. They approved. We also got permission from our gracious host Chris "Grasshopper" Hendegard. He also approved

The result? The planes flew excellent. We radared them right at 53 MPH, the same speeds that we have radared the nitro SSC planes at. Prior to the contest starting we flew in formation with several other nitro planes and felt we were at the same speed.

Throughout the contest and afterwards we polled the other contestants to see how they felt. And everyone of them aggreed that our planes performance wise had no advantage, nor were we at a disadvantage.

Slam Placed 1st with 2008 points, I placed second a mere 2000 points. Overall I would call it a great success, and I now longer can't stand SSC.

So I present to you my E-SSC Flat bat

The Fuselage
The Heart of the matter the MEGA
The tail feathers
and the wing mount

I have had 3 or 4 really hard midairs and so far the wing has stayed in tact.
thojo

Post by thojo »

Drew, that is a sweet setup with the motor enclosed in the bat. Hope we can have electric play nice with the slimers in SSC combat and as prices come down give more people the option to fly electrics in SSC and keep from having to have another "split up the classes" post war. While electrics have their own demons, it was nice at Dixie to just connect the battery, switch on and start flying! I'd also have to say with electrics you have certain safety advantages because you spend less time around that spinning prop, cause you don't have to worry about the glow driver and starting the thing...

Can we get a general waiver for electrics in SSC now?
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Drew, really great engineering.Thanks for your efforts.

Can you disclose what batteries and ESC you were running.

I second the motion for a general waiver for electrics in SSC. We don't need to stifle this type of creativity. (thank goodness SSC is still provisional and we can make these kind of TWEAKS)
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

Hey drewjet,
it is great that you can spin the standard 8x3 prop at the required rpm. Also using an existing airframe or IC engine mount was my goal as well. I am spinning a larger prop (10x8) and as has been pointed out, any variation can bring about a potential perception of some type of advantage. I personally like to hide my motors behind a gearbox, but that does complicate things a little.
That big 5mm shaft on the Mega probably wont bend very easily. How about a full list of specs, I will post all my info, and plane pics, tonight.

Just how far West do you come to fly?

Scott
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Scott,
He'll drive as far as maps with pictures on them will take him. They must be illustrated because he is text challenged. I am pretty sure he knows his way to Georgia, but figuring out Alabama, Mississippi then Louisiana may just be a little beyond his grasp.

He, if he takes SLAM along one can be asking for directions on the CB while the other one drives. <i>"Breaker Breaker 19, which way to the combat...?"</i>
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Thanks, we really wanted it to be a clean design and to have everything enclosed in something solid like a bat to protect the expensive stuff.

I am using apex 3S2P 2000 MAH from Northeast Sailplane $34.00 each and a castle creation 45 Amp ESC.

One of the reasons for using a spinner was to provide some protection to the motor ala NASCAR, where pieces going flying on impact to protect the contents.

If there are any other questions, ask away.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

I'll go as far west as they still speak English. Maps are no good. I just follow the retched smell of nitro.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Did I read eariler that you use two of the 2000mah batts in parallel? I was wondering what is the all up weight of your whole power unit. Motor/ESC and batts. Just wondering what the weight penelty is for the electrics.

BTW good job on finding what seems to be a great combo for E-SSC.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Yes Lee, 2ea 3 cell 2000 MAH Lipos in parallel.
Off the top of my head 6 oz for the motor. ESC 1.2 oz Batteries 10.6 ozs. We didn't need a fuel tank, engine servo or motor mount, so that save a few oz. Our all up weight was 44 oz, the same as one of my fueled SSC Nitro birds.

Return to “Electric Smack-Down Debriefs”