How about some Stryker Combat

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

How about some Stryker Combat

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`ll admit it, I have Electric Comabat ADD. So many planes, so little time. But, this was something that I had to try.

Park Zone sells a complete airframe for about $70, BUT hanging on the wall at my LHS was the "replacement wing" for $19.99. I`ve been walking past it for 6 months, but now with the contest season over ubtil Feb 07, I had to give it a try.

This is a molded EPP wing including a nosecone (that I didn`t use) and it already has some small carbon spars glued in on the bottom side.

I used 4mil coro to make the verticles and the elevons (no reinforcement in either. I used standard combat materials to cover it. Bidi on LE, TE, motor mount area and belly, then cover with colored packing tape. I glued a piece of 1/16" ply on the bottom of the radio compartment with 5min epoxy. the ply floor had two velcro tie straps wrapped aropund it. One for the batt and one near the back to retain wires and ESC. Also velcro on the plywood floor and on the battery.

I had to open up the slots for the verticle fins a little, then used a drywall screw comming up from undeneath to hold the fins in place. I had a large plastic bat (the orange type that is about 4"in dia. I cut it in half and then trimmed it down a little at a time to make the hatch cover.

Two cheap GWS mini standard servos and a couple of extentions completed the radio installation.

I thought about making my own motor mount, but theirs is pretty handy, costs $5 and comes with all of the screws trhat you need.

I stold a motor off of my latest E-SSC plane.($50) It is the HET 4w that is covered in the SSC section. I`m using a 2100 3s 15c battery and pull 22amps static at full stick, but it flys very well at only 16 amps. The prop is an APC 6/4 direct drive version. Any 30a or larger ESC will work.

I didn`t keep track of my time spent to set it up, I did a lot of fiddeling around, getting the CG right ect. But I`ll bet that I could put one in the air in less than 2 hours now that I`ve done one.

Summery..... this thing has loads of potential for a club combat project. There may even be cheaper motors out there that would work.
I`ve flown it in 20mph winds with no problems and it penetrates well. The first flight I completely lost radio at about 100ft and it went straight down, motor off, a heat gun fixed the wrinkles. That was the only damage.
I bought the other wing that they had in stock and have ordered several more. I may add small tip fins to help catch streamers.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Lee , you are not gonna belive this, I was just reading the specs for the new stryker that horizon hobbies has in there webpage a minute ago, turned the channel to rcca.com and heres Lee Liddle with this thread. man! it's scary
slam

Post by slam »

alot of guys around here are flying the mini slingers. i believe the slope version is $20.

i have flown some of the small combat wings. the problem i have is making tape stick to the epp. the molded epp isn't as bad....i guess that there is more surface area to attach. the cut wings have been nothing but a bother, even with total bidi tape (that is the setup i used for 1/2a combat in georgia at dixie).

just finished flying at an electric flyin. flew our e36 planes a bunch, our open b's a couple of rounds, and our devestators (epp combat wing 48") a bunch. these things are rockets. i'm flying with 2 of our 8c 2000's and they probably go 80 to 95mph. fun planes.

slam
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and our devestators (epp combat wing 48") a bunch. these things are rockets. i'm flying with 2 of our 8c 2000's and they probably go 80 to 95mph. fun planes.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What motor/prop are you using? Batts in series or parallel? Is there a link for info on the devestator? Any e-guys out there joining in the combat.
slam

Post by slam »

hey lee,

i am using the 16/15/4 mega with the 7x5 prop, 2 2000 in parrallel. probably get some faster speeds with better batteries but i am too cheap.

as far as a link to the devastator. i have had mixed results from my orders, in general, it is slow, frustating delivery[:(!]. there are many wing builders out there that are providing a good wing with good customer service. just look on the wings forum on e-zone. my devastator is good but i would not order another one.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What motor/prop are you using? Batts in series or parallel? Is there a link for info on the devestator? Any e-guys out there joining in the combat.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

when drew and i put up our wings, 2 guys with slingers, went up also. it is hard to get a midair when you are trying......although drew and i were very successfull.

when we flew our open b planes with streamer, one crazy guy chased us with his mini stick. this crazy guy is jason shulman (one of the top freestyle pilots in the nation). we slowed down, but it's still amazing he got 2 cuts on my streamer. the second cut, left streamer on his wing. much to the delight of the spectators, he stayed up and the chase was on. both of our big b planes flying after him was a site. drew got the cut, finally (some streamer, some verticle). jason is an amazing pilot, i am sure he doesn't fly combat. two cuts with a 16" wing is amazing.

slam
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by slam</i>
<br />...jason is an amazing pilot, i am sure he doesn't fly combat. two cuts with a 16" wing is amazing....

slam
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Doesn't fly combat yet... we need to work on getting him to do it. Don, his Dad, came to Dixie Nats in 2005 to display electrics. Maybe if we can get Don to come again Jason and his little brother David will come along.
slam

Post by slam »

sorry.....what i meant to say was "i'm sure GLAD he doesn't fly combat"

he thought it was a gas, and since it wasn't his plane, wasn't worried about fixing it.

his brother is a pretty good pilot also

slam
jj

Post by jj »

Last event at Airpark we had about 4 or 5 Strykers flying at lunch. The nice thing about them is that apparently for about $150-175 you get the full package with radio, brushless motor, plane etc.

They need some ruggedizing but these things are FAST.

while they seemed like fun I don't think anyone got a cut as the prop is in back and the highly swept wings are not really conducive to snagging streamers.

So while I think a lot of folks may have some interest, I'd rather fly a 3696 that looks like a WWII plane and has better odds for decent streamer cuts.

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”