You snooze you lose, AA Nimh Deal

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

Which_way_is_up

You snooze you lose, AA Nimh Deal

Post by Which_way_is_up »

I ran across a good deal on Energizer 4AA pack 2500mah batteries at Home Depot today. I use these batteries in my digital cameras and I've even built a transmitter pack out of eight of these. So even if they're not something that you'd use in R/C you can definitely find a use for them with all the gadgets that are going to be bought for Christmas.

Anyway, the best price I've gotten a 4 pack for in the past has been at "Wally World" at $9.83. Home Depot has them for $5.38! They are appearently replacing them with a newer packaging. Though I think that they're still the same 2500mah batteries. So look for the package that says <b>"4X longer in digital cameras"</b>, I think the newer packages are going to say <b>"7X longer in digital cameras"</b>.

Great deal on batteries but your Home Depot may or may not have any of the these in stock. So don't delay if you need some good brand name AA rechargable batteries.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Balsa Products also has a pretty good deal on AA NiMH cells.

Kan AA 1400 MAh, 1C charge, up to 14 Amp cont. discharge, priced at 10 for $5.00.

I can find lots of uses for these.[^]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I finally got to Home Depot last night and they had these exact batteries that Roy posted, for the "good deal" price! They also had an 8 pack, which did not have a price. I got a price scan, hoping that since it had no price tag it must be free, and was shocked to see it come up at almost $18! So the 8-pack is not such a great deal! But the 4-pack was only $5.38 as Roy posted. The "new" batts were on the same rack, they're 2650 mah (or thereabouts) and were near $10 for four! Thanks Roy! I'm likin those BP cells too, can think of a lot of uses for them! Thanks again!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I wonder how many hours will the transmitter go with a full charge with these 2500mah?, I have a eclipe 7 and I have the stock batt's (i think they are 650mah) , I always carry an extra pack because I always wind up using the extra one at the field, the pack's are from 2 years ago and last about 6 to 9 flights each (about 8 min flights), even though I turn off the Transmitter between refueling, It's time to replace my Transmitter packs, I'll see if my local home depot has the same sale goin on tonight.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I bought a 4 pack plastic battery holder from radio shack a while back (I don't have a picture of it) , but it is a black plastic case that holds 4AA batts like a shrink wraped transmitter batt pack, Ill have to use it now, It looks like it will fit on the transmitter with just removing a small piece of black foam thats inside the batt compartment.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by o1moregil</i>
<br />I bought a 4 pack plastic battery holder from radio shack a while back (I don't have a picture of it) , but it is a black plastic case that holds 4AA batts like a shrink wraped transmitter batt pack, Ill have to use it now, It looks like it will fit on the transmitter with just removing a small piece of black foam thats inside the batt compartment.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'm pretty sure that the Eclipse uses a 8 cell battery pack. Like the one I made for my JR in the picture above.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

brain fart!! ..your right Roy, It's a 8 cell plastic case from radio shack
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

the price was $1.89
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Gil, That`s what I use in my Eclipse 7. I have 2500`s and with a good slow charge, they last all day. If you show up with dead Tx batts, you can zap them pretty hard with a field charger. I did melt one of my batt holders once though. For less than $2 it`s a great fix, and a lot easier than soldering a big pack together. It also pops right in and out of the TX. I can switch a batt in about 15 seconds if they`ve already called "start engines"[8D]

PS Once the batts are installed, I recomend wrapping packing tape around the case sort of like heat shrink. Then shrink the tape with a heat gun. Regular heat shrink won`t work because it is too thick and makes the pack to large to fit. The tape locks the batts in place for a good conection.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

just got back from my local home depot, they were out of the energizer 4 packs [:(] , and I had to buy the only 8 AA pack 2650mah Duracell's they had, It was $15.97 + tax
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

That`s still a 2600mah NiMH tx batt for under $20. Check and see what retailers would gig you for that. Probably $50, maybe more.