M1 bench tests for 3696 specs

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

M1 bench tests for 3696 specs

Post by Lee Liddle »

Good news for those who would like to try M1s in 3696. I did some fully measured 6min bench runs today and the M1`s did a good job of delivering the needed electrons to power a 3696 for a heat.

Motor....TP2908
Prop.....MA 9/6
Batt.....M1 3s from Dewalt battery pack
Total batt weight...8oz

Not much time to post right now, but here are the basics.

With a freshly charged pack the run went like this. 30sec run down period to get to the "flat" part of the discharge curve. 5min of steady 9k at 8.4v and 22a static. During the next 30sec there was a slight drop in voltage and the rpms dropped to 8.8k. During the next 30 sec the rpms and volts dropped off rapidly. Ending voltage after the test was about 3v per cell (at rest) which is plenty safe for these cells. The batt was warm to touch, but not hot at all.

Conclusion. This is a very good match for 3696.!! With a lighter more efficent motor it could even be better. You have all of the benifits of the M1s, saftey, long life, durability. The only neg is the additional 2.5 oz of weight. This could be offset by a lighter motor and a little bit lighter building method.

I say it`s a go Cajun. I plan on gearing up to use some of these in 3696.

There is a thread on RC Groups which shows how to convert an Astroflight 109 charger into an M1 charger for a bout $5. I`m going to give that a try.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

One other thing. These should work for twins in 3696 also. My twin setup only pulls about 24amps. That would be about 22a in the air which would still give me a 6min flight. This would be the same 3s M1 pack that I tested above.

The packs that Ive used so far have been Ployquest 3s3100. These weigh about 7.5 if I remember right. So The weight would be only .5oz more than what Ive been using. I`ll fit one of these into the Me410 and fly it as soon as I repair the light damage from yesterday`s midair with Ed.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

The numbers look good, Lee.

I have one of the DeWalt batteries on the way, but need to rig a charger. Which charger are you using?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Return to “All About Electrics”