What would pay for an ARF?

Moderator: hbartel

Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

AJ,
I think $100 to $125 is about right. Spare wings would be mandatory. If the wings could be shipped in halves like Mike suggested it would keep the cost down.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Mike, look into DHL. I just shipped a bunch of owersize and heavy parts thru them much more reasonable than UPS. They seem to have a better tolerance for larger items. You will hit a minumin weight/volume charge but ups does that as well. Might also help with your russian trip stuff.
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

It's an ARF world. Perhaps recruitment will be easier with an off the shelf 1-2 hour assembly type deal. Or better yet, a RTF version similar to what Horizon offers in a number of sport planes.

The diehard/6+ contests a year competitors will always find benefit from building there own. But those of us with more time constraints or are less dedicated might be able play a couple times a year with an ARF or RTF.

I have a few contacts working at Hobbico and Horizon, we'll see what shakes out...
boiler

Post by boiler »

Good luck A.J. I know Drewjet is working on the 3696 class. I got one.
cccdad

Post by cccdad »

I realize this is an older thread But ARFs would save scale combat. Just look at 424 pylon racing and what the Viper and Predator ARFs have done for Pylon. When I talk to new potential combat pilots the first question I am asked about about is what is a good beginner class? Make some of these slower classes rule book and get a mainstream manufacture on board. It looks like we just lost the Lanier Slasher and Ripper. SSC and 2548 would be an easy sell for a beginner class if ther were planes to direct people to
boiler

Post by boiler »

Hattrick makes both.
FHHuber

Post by FHHuber »

The Avenger is now made by Air Scharnell

Its now the most popular model for the local area "renegade"/club combat series. (appx 12 competitions a year, 2 clubs involved, not exactly AMA rulebook...)

Its hard to beat under our rules. Its interresting to note that while most of the Avengers are getting .46 engines in the noze, the fastest had a .36 last season.

Return to “Trends in Participation”