E- Open B, NATS Challenge

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

jj

Post by jj »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
It just shows that, even with equal power, the opportunities are a lot higher with E-power (when in a non-electric-only class).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Oh please get real. I've also witnessed hundreds of dollars of speed controllers and batteries fry instantaneously. Watched an F5J plane burst into flames after a meltdown caused a short. And lets not forget that a bent shaft can render a likely Open B electric motor worthless a lot faster than you can bend a shaft of a typical IC engine.

Electrics are getting better but why are people in a panic about some potential future state that might happen in 3, 5 or 7 years.

It is silly to limit competition based on maybes and what ifs.

There is no electric motor/ battery / controller combo that is even close to the power to weight ratio of a Fora or even a Jett for that matter. Not even close.

Lee's money is safe. If someone wants to continue the silly side of the discussion they should do so by putting up a counter side to Lee's offer.
CStein

Post by CStein »

[quote]<i>Originally posted by jj</i>
There is no electric motor/ battery / controller combo that is even close to the power to weight ratio of a Fora or even a Jett for that matter. Not even close.

Id rethink this coment a little!! i built a plane before nats that was very fast and agile i skimped a little on construction and the wing failed rod was to close to the edge of the foam and it crushed
and the wing failed. So at the nats butter cup and i thanks for the help Bob!!finished the new wing and weighed in at 3 pounds and 14 ounces it has close to 1500 watts of power and spins a prop right under 26,000 rpm flew it at the nats very fast and i couldnt get the plane to turn because i used 85 mg servos and on the first plane had 225mgs and it would turn and burn and was 15 to 20 mph faster
than my fastest open wing and i can asure u my wings are no slouch.
and turn on a dime .

Corey