Digital Photography

Discussion on usage, viruses, problems, tips and tricks.

Moderator: hbartel

Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RH</i>
<br />Off on a road trip this weekend. Stopped at my parent's cabin and had Dad drag out his Nikon stuff. He's got some nice lenses he offered to share so that narrows the research down toward Nikon.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Randy, what lenses did he have?
RH

Post by RH »

Alex, I better jot down those lenses Dad has, will be stopping back by tomorrow to pick up my old Yamaha DT1 I am going to get running again.

Roy, are you satisfied with the 6.1 megapixels you have with your D70 or should I try to buy 10? The D40 & 40X look interesting but you mention the size that fits your hand. Maybe these 40s are too small to swing well with the action? Guess I better go get my hands on some and see what feel I like.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

I noticed on Newegg.com yesterday that they have a lot of their digital camera memory with free 3-day shipping.

A 1GB SD card is $5.49, free shipping. The 4GB CF card below is $29.99 with free shipping, and everything in between. I have several Transcend cards and they have not let me down.

I haven't followed their prices closely, so I'm not sure, but I don't remember that many items having free shipping in the past. I might pick up a 4GB card to replace some of my 1GB's. I have 1x 4 GB card already, and it's nice being able to shoot for a hours on one card!

Rick's triplane kit-built with Canon EOS 350D/Rebel XT and Canon 70-200 f2.8.

This is a 100% crop of the above image. 1 pixel on the computer screen is one pixel in the image. If the full image were displayed on screen at this zoom, it would be about 48" wide. As you can see, the first image was cropped heavily. Even on a "1.6x crop" body, 200mm isn't very long for model airplanes.

Kevin's 40% Extra 330. A huge airplane.

A 100% crop to show lens detail.

Six of our club's combat pilots with Rebel XT and Sigma 27-70 f2.8.

This is my new World Models Plug-n-Play (electric) Ultimate that Santa brought me for Christmas. It comes with the motor, and I have the recommended battery and ESC (Electrifly 3S 2100 mAh and 35 A ESC). It flies great! All three day's I've been able to fly it the wind has been 20 mph and gusting. I can't wait to try it on a calm day. It's a little hard to build because everything's so small, but compared to actually building an airplane, it's easy! And it worked with just what they recommended. So now I recommend this airplane [:)]
I think Dave took this image with the 24-70.

Moral of the story - Just starting get a $200 70-300 consumer zoom. It'll be ok. After a year or two of practice you can get better lenses that will perform much better. I think the Canon 300 f4 would be a great lens for airborn shots, although it would be way too long for runway passes.

So anyone that wants to get started, but a body and a cheap lens. ---Or a Superzoom point & shoot.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Sorry for the late response, Randy. I have a D200 Nikon. Looking for a 300mm zoom pretty soon, as the 150mm is a bit short for great shots of aerial action.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />Sorry for the late response, Randy. I have a D200 Nikon. Looking for a 300mm zoom pretty soon, as the 150mm is a bit short for great shots of aerial action.

Ed, if you really want something cool, go for the [nikon mount] Sigma 120-300 f2.8! I <i>wish</i> I had one!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

At $2,200, I don't think I've spent that much in the RC hobby (yet). Maybe after the kids are off the payroll.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Randy, did you ever purchase a camera? If you did, I'd be interested in how it turned out and what you think of it.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />At $2,200, I don't think I've spent that much in the RC hobby (yet).

I definately know that feeling! At least most good-quality lenses they retain most of their value for resale... Kind of like an extended rental if you choose to sell later!

Along with the usual ~70-300mm zooms in the $200 range, depending on your budget you might want to look at Sigma and Tamron offerings. They have several zooms that reach out to 400 or 500mm from around $500.

Shooting airplanes, it would very often be nice to have 500mm or even more. The reason I bought the [relatively] short range 70-200mm is becuase I shoot sports/people more than model airplanes, and my sigma 70-300 didn't cut it in low light (college stadiums, etc).
RH

Post by RH »

I just haven't had the loot to invest in one yet but my kids are almost "off the payroll" so I'm hoping to be able to buy one this year.

r
AIM

Post by AIM »

I'm not sure how this camera will do action type combat shots but I used to own a Sony DSC-F505V.
I loved it. I took all three of my kids senior pics with it and they turned out great. Unfortunately the camera met an untimely demise. I purchased a point and shoot camera to replace it thinking the pocket size would be nice but I hate it. I'm looking into the DSC-F828 now. They are going for about $350 or so on ebay right now. I doubt the picture quality is up there with the other cameras mentioned in this post but I was happy with mine. I just hope the 828 is even better than my old 505.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Aaron,

If you haven't seen it, here's a full review of the 828 if you want: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

You might look at some of the newer "superzooms" too. They offer twice the range, larger LCD's, etc, for less bulk and money. But they're light on the manual controls.

Melissa Adams and I have both posted combat pictures with our Sony H-1's (Sony's first Superzoom) and that camera is very capable of combat pictures with practice. Melissa has posted some absolutely great images. The H-1 is certianly a very nice camera, and I am sure that it's successors are even more refined.

Post some combat pictures when you get the new camera! [8D]

Return to “Computer related issues - user supported”