Light, inexpensive, easy 6v airborne pack

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Light, inexpensive, easy 6v airborne pack

Post by Lee Liddle »

Here`s a link to a battery that I`ve been using for my airborne power. It`s a 3v 900mah lithium ion battery. It take two to make a 6v pack, of course, but the cells are less than $5 each shipped to my door. One solder joint, add the plug, and you have a 900mah 6v pack that weighs about 1.25oz.

I charge them on a field charger on the NiCad setting, and charge them to about 6.7v. I`m not sure how long the charge will last, but at the last contest, I flew the same plane and batt for 8 heats plus a test flight without recharging so there`s plenty of airtime.

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?Pa ... ProdID=520
Uh-Oh

Post by Uh-Oh »

Lee, Are you using these on your E-birds or fuel planes? Or both?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

What fuel planes? LOL........... I use them on my electrics. I do not use BEC power from the ESC because I use more than 3S to power the motor. The airborne battery pack is used just like it would be on an IC plane.
Uh-Oh

Post by Uh-Oh »

Sweet! I was concidering going to a couple of these "A123" cells, and no regulator, for the Rx especially my Spektrum stuff since they have a "brown out" issue during voltage drops.

Electric or fuel, I've got both. As long as it flys, I like it! My SSC planes are all slimers though... Good-N-Gooey! LOL

Thanks Lee! I look forward to meeting you on the 23rd! I'll have an ice cold Diet Coke waiting for ya...
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Uh-Oh</i>
<br />Electric or fuel, I've got both. As long as it flys, I like it! My SSC planes are all slimers though... Good-N-Gooey! LOL
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

As long as sticky substances (tanglefoot, etc) remain legal, glow or electric, they are all good-n-gooey! [:)]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Try some 2 face tape, nice and clean.