Electirc Flying Wing..I NEED HELP!!!!!

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

I pulled out the July Model Aviation and read the article, Real interesting stuff. A person could even do a little R&D and maybe come up with a little more span for combat. I think one of the Falcons would be cool to try with fan fold.

You think the speed on your plane is fast enough for cut'n the ribbons we use now or would like a tissue paper ribbon be better?

Backyard with the Grand kids combat'n or just at the field messing around, now that sounds like fun.

I also like the part about "Glide Testing" these models in MA before you ever install the motor or gear!

Keep us posted....[:p]
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Yeah, they are plenty fast to cute a crepe streamer...

I test fly the second one and i have come across another question. This time when i would turn tightly, the plane would snap out and it eventually went into a flat spin and went in, breaking the motor mount.

Does this mean its tail heavy? because i tried moving the balance point back and i thought that might be ther problem
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Brian,
From what I've been told not much throw at all is needed for wings. I'm sure it's a lot less than what I'm used to anyway. Any chance you're snap'n because of too much throw? Maybe dial it down some, glue the mount back and give her a try.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

If it wouldn`t recover from the flat spin, it`s prob a little tail heavy. The extra sweep will tend to make it snap more easily too.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I read where you want to adjust the %of elevator/airlion throw. I can't remember if you need to cut back on one or the other.[?]
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Yeah ben, thats what i was going to try to do, was lower the throw. I tried one more hard turn as like a baseline, and it started the snap. I released the controls and added power and it just snapped tighter, then when i cut power it did the flat spin. I almost thought i had lost the battery because even when i cut the throttle it continued to spin and float to earth like the last plane i lost the battery from (3D plane that was at about 250 feet...not good for the lipo)
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

My limited experience with flying wings is that you need very little elevator throw and a lot of aileron throw. If it will glide level with power off the cg is pretty good. Can't hold up the nose with power off = nose heavy. Plane zooms up = tail heavy.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

The Kid just doesn't know how to fly. He should have left the test flights to the one with the real skills with the sticks.....
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgilkey</i>
<br />The Kid just doesn't know how to fly. He should have left the test flights to the one with the real skills with the sticks.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You must mean young Eric, PBG? [:D]
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Hey Brian,
Try the "Glide Test" deal like in MA. On the fan fold wings before you install any radio or motor gear, it's saying to tape the controls in place, add weight to the plane front and middle I think it is. (I'd try to get close to what the plane should weigh with all gear onboard) Then ajust the weight added add/remove until you get a good level glide, the check and mark the CG.

Then when you set the plane up with the radio/motor gear they say to ajust your gear until you have the CG on the mark made with the glide test. Sounds like it might work anyway??

GOOD LUCK!
PS, Hows the new "Pit Boy" doing?? I tell ya good help is hard to find these days ya know!![:D] Maybe after a season or two of training him he'll start doing better.[;)][:D][:D]
CStein

Post by CStein »

Brian if that plane is 24" wing span than i would try a smaller lipo pack.I noticed on several
foamys that 1300mah pack was to much weight a 900 it would fly great . On another note your servos
are inward and the elevons are the full wing span when at fast speeds they flex and in a
turn the plane might be slowing enough they regain the efectivness and making a light snap
out of the turn.

Corey
CStein

Post by CStein »

PS. if that dosent work let pbg fly it !!!
Im sure its all pilot error with u behind the sticks anyways !!!! HAHA
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Ben, i tried the glide test with the first plane and found the reccomended spot to be just about right, but i skipped that step with the new design...maybe i shouldn't have. I think i went to ambisous with moving the wing back.

And corey, that may be the problem, but i don't believe that it is. I have flown the plane with a 1500 pack that weighs 5.7 oz and it flew fine. And the bigger pack only adds about a half an ounce (the straw that broke the camels back maybe...?). Also, on top of that, with the motor that i am using it pulls 19-20 amps constant at WOT. All the otehr packs that i own don't have a high enough C rating to hold that high of a level, only the 2200 mah pack can, so thats why i was using it. Otherwise it has to be run at half throttle (no fun [:D] ) or it has to be used in bursts. We have already gone through i couple of batteries by over drawing them
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I flew the plane again today after repairs, and i moved the balance point a whole half an inch further up, it flew well, and didn't do that bouncing thing on landing!!!!!!!
Its wicked fast, i would guess something around 60+

It does a pretty wicked snap roll though, does that mean that it is too tail heavy? Also it snaps out of the turns alittle, i think i am going to cut of the V-stabs and put on a couple bigger ones for more area.

I wish my combat planes rolled like this one. It does at least 2 full rolls in a second, probably more like 2.5!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “All About Electrics”