Cox Warbirds....

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

TheKid

Cox Warbirds....

Post by TheKid »

I have been doing research into the Cox mini warbird series (5 oz about and 20 inch wingspan)

I was looking for some type of motor that could be used direct drive. I thought that someone on this forum would know something about recommending some motor to me.

I found an outrunner that i think might work. Its a BP A2204-19. It weighs .76oz ( which is only slightly more then the 12mm inrunners) and it spins a 8x4 (i plan on using a 6x5 or something like that) and makes 8 oz of thrust. I think that will do the trick, but i don't know if i could pit it on the front of the warbird.

So I have been looking into inrunners. Most of the small ones i can find (i need something between 12-20 mm) are made for gear drive, i need direct drive. and some i have found for Ducted fan. So who knows what motors would be good for direct drive, or can a ducted fan motor be used with a small prop (like a 3x3 or a 3x2)?

I think that these little planes would be pretty fn to tie a streamer on, if i can find a good motor i might get one of these and give it a go. But i don't want to get one unless i can get at least 8-10 oz of thrust out of it
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Brian,

It sounds like the plane you're thinking of is in the same weight range as the Pocket Combat Wing (PCW) at http://www.edgerc.com/pcw.htm.

While a different type of plane, combat wing vs your scale plane, they recommend a brushless Feigao 5100kv Brushless motor for an upgrade for this plane. The video shows it's plenty powerful for a plane this size.

Good luck with this project...post a video if you get a chance.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

By the way, I asked if the Feigao 4100 motor I already have would work, and this was Jason's response:

<font color="purple"><i>Yes, it will work on the PCW, and with a 2-cell LiPo will give you
performance slightly better than the PCW in the crash-test video. That
motor is a 4100kv motor, and will not really come alive until you put 3s
LiPo voltage to it. You would want to run either the GWS 3x2 or 3x3 prop on
that motor. On 2 cells, you will get about an hour of flight time. On 3s,
it will be cut down to about 15 minutes, but the speed will more than
double. ~1200mA cells for the 2s setup, and about 900mA cells for the 3s
system will be needed.</i></font id="purple">

All I know of electrics is what others tell me. [;)]

Return to “All About Electrics”