Monokote Paint on Foam

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

Alex Treneff

Monokote Paint on Foam

Post by Alex Treneff »

I am trying to cover my foam P-51 with monokote paint. I've brushed on some water based polyurethane sealant so far. I haven't painted yet because on my test piece the PU was not quite enough to protect the foam, and I ended up with a kind of wavy "aluminum" finish.

What have others found as a good way to seal the foam before applying paint? I'll try testing some Krylon H2O paint (that for-plastic paint I think) but I'm not sure how fuel proof that is.

Any ideas? I have a gorgeous Mustang, but I don't think any of them we shipped to Europe painted in baby blue! [:D]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I recommend tape or heat shrink covering. You can buy colors that will make a mustang look really good or just use clear tape, then paint it. I did my P-38 that way and was happy with the look. I`ll have to check but I think it was Krylon brand paint.

boiler

Post by boiler »

Alex, from my experience the Monocoat paint is the only one that will hold up to the nitro. I recovered and painted my p-40's 3 times to find this out. You can paint over tape if you dull the surface with fine steel wool. I think the monocoat will take the paint. I don't know if you need to dull it. Tape was much cheaper and easier to do. Use a color of tape that approximates your paint in case a little lets go. You might try to use a latex paint as a primer on a scrap piece of foam if you want to paint over bare foam. The tape will add more strength than the paint. Dust the foam with spray adhesive. Put on the tape. Iron the tape. Dull the surface. Paint the tape. Wave a heat gun at it to remove any noticeable flaws but be careful.