FX 25 mods for 2548

Check here for the latest and greatest engine modifications.

Moderator: hbartel

cccdad

FX 25 mods for 2548

Post by cccdad »

Is it "legal" to drill out the muffler stinger on a 2458 engine? will this increase performance?
boiler

Post by boiler »

It is legal. Most people that I know remove the baffle altogether and drill out the stinger enough to get rid of the internal flashing It doesn't increase performance much, but it does get people closer to the 14500 rpm max. Some engines can make it out of the box and others can't make it with the muffler mods and 30%. I'm one of the non engine geeks which doesn't make it with the mods but I get to about 13800 on a good day and 13600 on a bad day. The plane seems to perform well enough for me. If you haven't tried it out of the box yet, I would suggest you see what it does with out the mods since fuel pressure might suffer a little.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I'd remove the baffle, but keep the stinger at stock diameter. as bob says, remove any flash around the stinger hole, though. you might find your fuel draw suffering if you open up the stinger, which will hurt you more than the very slight power increase of the opened stinger.
cccdad

Post by cccdad »

If I understand your replies it sounds like the stinger must still be present on the muffler and should not be drilled out to the extent that the stinger is removed
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

that wasn't the original question, but the stinger does not need to be present, there is nothing in the rules that requires a stinger.
cccdad

Post by cccdad »

Thanks for the reply I guess I could have been clearer in my original post. I actually got the idea by looking at some old posts in this forum