Balancing Chargers

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Balancing Chargers

Post by Ed Kettler »

I have an Astro Blinkie, but want to look at getting a balancing charger to get better results with my 3S packs. Christmas is coming![:D]

What are you guys using? Recommendations for Santa?[:D]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

I bought one and then like it so much bought a second FMA Balance pro. It will charge up to 6 cells (Lipo and A123) and will do it at up to 10 amps.

Pluses- High charge rate, built in balancer, low price $105, hooks up to computer and displays individual cell voltages, and MAH to recharge in a nice graph manner.

Minuses- No digital readout on charger, no end of charge beep.

ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br /><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><font size="2">I recently bought a FMA CellPro 4s based on a recent review in MA (~$79). LiPo and A123. I forgot to order the adapter [:(], so I haven't used it yet, but it's got some nice features, including a high-speed LiPo charge that was reported not to be detrimental to the batteries.</font id="size2">
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Drew, those 123s look like they are taking 2500mah. What`s up?
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

There is a calibration feature on the MAH used. This was a screen shot prior to the calibration.

I also bought a CBA discharger and I am getting around 2200 Mah out of them on average.
THend

Post by THend »

Any other recommendations out there? Are you guys charging at the field as well? I got my batteries today, and they have a balancing plug on them, or I guess that is what it is.

I have a Triton charger, but I don't think it does any balancing.

I guess I could charge at the field with the Triton, charge at home with a balancer, and I already have the CBA. Wonder if the CBA will eventually have a discharger that can monitor each cell at the same time.

th
THend

Post by THend »

Just noticed the Balance Pro is not on the FMA website?

The Cell Pro 10s looks promising, pricey though..
boiler

Post by boiler »

Terry, you can get a little balancer to put between your Triton and the battery. I got one at a swap meet for $15 and it works fine.
THend

Post by THend »

Dymond Hobby sells the "blinky" which is identical to other advertised balancers for $19 and it takes up to 6 cells. Just plug it into the goofy looking plug, and it does its thing.

Now I need to go and pray for the Chargers..[:)]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Your Chargers are keeping it close through half-time. I hope they beat New England.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

i couldn't find a "blinky" or any other balancer on the Dymond site?!?! Terry, wassup??? I did find the blinkie on the Astro site. Bob, is that swap shop balancer working well? I have a Triton and like it, but wish I had a balancer.....
boiler

Post by boiler »

It works swell. I got one of those digital readout meters for 3 cell lipo's at the meet this year for $15 and the cells all match within .1 volt.
THend

Post by THend »

Just call them. Helmut and his wife are very nice, and will sell/ship over the phone. I don't know why, but their website is no where near what it should be. The store is great, and they have everything. I wouldn't mind driving down, but they are about 20 miles away and with traffic last weekend it took 1.5 hours to get there. Yes I was not happy. Usually I jam on down early in the am, and it is only a 25 minute drive.

Last night I ordered the Eagle Tree V3 data logger and accessories.

Return to “All About Electrics”