RCCA Promotion to AMA clubs

Moderator: hbartel

draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Yes a DVD would be awesome. another thing that can scare new people is there perception on there flying abilitys, newer but capable pilots will be afraid of trying combat. a little SSC club combat with provided planes, would erase those fears. I was terrified at my first match, I think nervousness got to me, but after my second, that went away. its also made me a much better pilot
boiler

Post by boiler »

I have 3 or 4 guys in our club that said they would like to build one and I offered a building party. So far none took me up on it but two have bought wing cores at my cost of $3. I figure they will be ready for a build party after it gets too cold to fly. If anyone wants a copy ot the tri-fold that I passed out at the Toledo show this year just ask me to email it to you. Send me and email with the subject tri-fold.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Hey Bob, I sent you an e-mail. it wouldnt let me put the topic. thanks

Andy Erwin (draftman1)
rcca #913
boiler

Post by boiler »

Got it and you should have the tri-fold. Feel free to edit it for your location. I had it ready for the Midwest at the 1st of April. Ed did some real work starting it. I modified it from year to year to include events in this area. I also changed a couple of pictures.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

I have also had the same response and resistance to the pilots around here when it comes to combat. Money is always a concern, but more often I find that people doubt their flying abilities, especially when watching the faster classes or planes flown aggressively on high rates. I have been promoting SSC mostly for this reason and encourage people to try mine plane out on a buddy box with low rates so they get a feel for how gentle and predictable these planes can be. I demonstrate the simple, yet rugged and inexpensive construction and have basically done everything but build the planes for them and pass them out as presents. It's been a lot of work just trying to get a few in the air for practice or fun. I even wrote an short article about types of combat and posted videos for our club newsletter to introduce it locally, with only marginal success. I am trying to get enough activity here in east Tennessee to begin having regular events in the spring and fall seasons, but have hit a brick wall. Any advise along these lines would be appreciated.
boiler

Post by boiler »

This weekend my club is going to have a picnic and fun fly for members. I plan on having 3 of my SSC planes on different channels and play the fox while they play the hound. I hope to keep them in the combat box that way and will try to keep them out of the corn as much as possible.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

thats a great idea, I might do that on our next fun fly. although the guys that have done combat are usually at the fun flys. its funny there is another club 15 min away and they wont have anything to do with combat and they are all a bunch of addrenaline junkies. they like pylon racing. at least our club does have a decent turnout when we have our yearly combat event, we have 6 or 7 who will fly at that event and then we get some travelers who will come. we just gotta keep on trying and get new people in this great sport
duncanj

Post by duncanj »

Hey yall,

We also have a fly in this weekend and Dirko and myself, as well as a few others are going to give a demonstration over the lunch hour. I have take my SSC Battle Axe to a couple of other fly in's and have gotten alot of curiousity stirred up. I know that one guy had Dirko purchase a Phencepost from Mike at the Dogflight over Dover and he has it built already for this weeks thursday practice combat.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

There was some earlier chat in this thread about a DVD or multi-media presentation for use at club meetings. Does any such thing exist? If so, I'd like to get a copy so that I can "give the sales pitch" at some local club meetings. Clubs are ALWAYS looking for something to make the meetings a little less boring.

I'm mostly interested in a PowerPoint presentation with embedded video, etc. Does anyone have anything like that? If not, maybe I'll work on one during my layovers in Minot, ND...[:(]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

we are gona have a little club combat this saturday. there are 5 or 6 of us who fly combat. I offered use of planes to anybody who wanted to try it. It helps to get people to try it. most guys wont try it at a sanchoned event. I hope to get a couple of guys hooked by doing this and a little practice for the rest of us.

Andy Erwin (draftman1)
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I'd like to see us use some of the RCCA funds to have some videos done and uploaded to promote combat and RCCA
boiler

Post by boiler »

I have a video of the last Paris TX meet where Mark Laboytox?? took air-based video of some of the action. I don't know if Mike Wilcox still has those available but there is some great footage in it. I take mine to the Toledo show. I agree that it would be a good type of thing to invest in.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Hi Gary,

I was putting together an "informative teaser" type video with a bunch of clips that I've taken at events and such to try and promote to clubs in the area, but kind of let the project lag. I'll see if I can finish it up in the next couple of weeks and send it to you.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Thanks Alex, I'll be looking forward to it. I'll probably try to find some of the stuff that Bob mentioned. Mike Willcox (2-time World F2D champion) is a long time associate from CL Combat, and I'll also see what I can get from him. A multimedia presentation, slides, stills, video and music, that we could make available to all RCCA members to use at local area club meetings might help increase participation if it is coupled with "building clinics" and regular monthly contests. (The availability of monthly contests here in the North Texas area is what "sold" me. THANKS ED KETTLER !!!)

I suspect that a multimedia presentation needs to be in a format that can be easily "played" by RCCA members that may not be highly computer literate. MSPowerPoint or the 'Open Office' version thereof We'll cooperate and see what other RCCA members may be able to contribute.

Return to “Trends in Participation”