Open E3696 here i come!!!

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

TheKid

Open E3696 here i come!!!

Post by TheKid »

WEll, though this surely won't meet the criteria for 3696, it is pretty darn fun, and would surprisingly make one heck of a combat plane!!!

Its about a 1/2 scale Q500 plane, uses a hattrick arrow wing. 30 inch span, weighs 15 oz with my biggest battery, about 13 oz with a smaller one. Flys great, turns on a dime, and i would say its good for at least 60-70 mph right now, and i think i could make it a little faster and lighter with some work. Its a Balsa Products 2212-06, with a cheap 30a esc (thought i would need it, but it only draws in the low teens in amps). Turns a MA 5.5x4.5 at 18500, which is a pitch speed of 84 mph i think (?). Anyways, just a little fun over christmas break, and i thought i would share it.

*Note: it actually is kinda good looking, the girlfriend helped with the paint job, and not only that, but now shes knows how to make hinge strips and how to tape a wing!!! Sounds like a keeper!! She wanted pink, but that got the veto[:D]
boiler

Post by boiler »

Red & Black are the school colors of the public school district which I live in. I taught there 30 years and will start my 3rd 4-year term in Janurary on the school board. Go Indians![;)]
Ben Morrow

Post by Ben Morrow »

Looks good Brian, sounds FAST too! I’ve thought several times about how cool it would be to pylon race with ribbons and try to cut the competitors ribbons while running the pylon pattern, counting cuts and laps. [:D]
jj

Post by jj »

Brian,

Nice to see you're enjoying the fun of going over to the E-side.

Sounds like you got a keeper there, especially if she is helping with plane building. regarding pink, just explain the pink is the new black so pink on black would make the plane hard to see.

Well, maybe just say thanks for her helping out.

Looks like a fun plane
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

That looks like fun Brian. I think that an open class with roughly 3696 performance, or a little faster, would be a blast.
Unfortunately it would probably "kill" 3696, which hasn`t even been born yet. LOL
An easy to build open airframe is always an easier "sell" to a guy who just wants to cut streamers, always will be.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Lee, i somehow found your Quest 200 thread on rcgroups one night, and i was up until 2 am reading it. I was filled with so much anticipation as i always am when i find these old threads, and then i get to the end just to find that they amount to no conclusion. That project is very intriguing to me, and in a way fueled my need for speed!!!

Anyways, its too bad santa seems to have come too soon. i have already picked out the motor that i would like to get this summer to spoil myself with. I was looking around, and i've decided on a Mega 16/15/4. On a 3s Lipo, it pulls around 14 amps with a 4.75x5.5. Thats a pitch speed around 110 mph, or with a better battery, i could go with a 5.25x6.25, which draws 20 amps, but with get me in the 130 mph range!!!1 This electric stuff is so much fun, its unbelievable cough cough OMG IM SWITCHING TO THE DARK SIDE!!!! And if that isn't enough, the third and final step would be a 4s 1800mah battery 27 amps, 27000 rpm, and a pitch speed i think in the high 150s!!!!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I had about 4 contests in a row last Fall when I didn`t break any planes so I had lots of time to play with the EDF project. My Quest 200 is still on-going, but I`ve been busy lately. I was just looking at different twin design possibilities this morning. There will be another speed run this winter so stay tuned.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">This electric stuff is so much fun, its unbelievable cough cough OMG IM SWITCHING TO THE DARK SIDE!!!! And if that isn't enough, the third and final step would be a 4s 1800mah battery 27 amps, 27000 rpm, and a pitch speed i think in the high 150s!!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Now you are starting to see my problem.[:D]

I`ve looked for a twelve step program for electrics, but haven`t found one yet.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Recently, Brian said: <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">cough cough OMG IM SWITCHING TO THE DARK SIDE!!!! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nahh, dude, that's not the dark side...I got a re-release of the old Sterling Minnie Mambo and a re-release of the old Top Flight Schoolboy for Christmas..and I have a box of old reedie 1/2a Cox engines just setting around, including an 020..you got it easy, buddy.[:p]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>

I`ve looked for a twelve step program for electrics, but haven`t found one yet.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I found the one step solution. Slam, Greg, and I went slope soaring on Saturday...Yes there are hills in Florida... We flew 60" zagi style wings. It took us about 5 minutes to figure out how to fly the slope and then it was on FULL Contact combat. We were there for about 3 hours and were probably in the air for 2 1/2 hours, and probably over 50 midairs...no damage at all.

The lift was so strong that I was able to fly my SSC ship (42 ozs) on the slope with no need for the motor.

I am still sore from laughing so much.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drewjet</i>
<br />The lift was so strong that I was able to fly my SSC ship (42 ozs) on the slope with no need for the motor.

I am still sore from laughing so much.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If the batteries are mounted in the wing, why not remove them and save another 8 oz when slope soaring the SSC? [:D]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

My batteries are in the fuselage, and due to their location needed them for CG, plus I use the BEC from the ESC.

I made no modifications to the plane I brought it along just to fly it. It was just a "hey let me try this" kinda thing. I may build a slope fuselage to go with my SSC wing for the next time we go, should take all of 15 minutes to do that.
jj

Post by jj »

Drew, Welcome to the really dark side.

FULL contact slope combat is a blast. Amazing how hard it is tho hit another plane when you're trying to. For the Super 77th event we had 27 up at once. The other nice thing is that when we fly we just keep going and going, and going since unless the wind dies there is no need to stop. [:D]

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”