Speed controller

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

combatgoblin

Speed controller

Post by combatgoblin »

I bought a setup for 3696 and the motor has polarity marked but the speed controller has three black wires coming from it with no polarity marked how do you know which way to conect it?The battery has the two heavy wires but it also has four small wires with a plug strip what is this for?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

A brushless motors has three wires, and the order they are plugged into the motor determiines the rotational direction. If it turns the wrong way, just switch two of the wires, and it will swap direction.

The two heavy wires DO have polarity, so be sure to set that up correctly.

The smaller connector is for the balancing of the battery. You should invest in either a balancing charger or a cell balancer like an Astro Blinky http://astroflight.com/store/store-type ... FwW2I8O6d3 to get maximum effectiveness from your batteries

HTH
Ed
BenJammin

Post by BenJammin »

The speed control and the motor can use any combination of the 3 wires. Hook it up and see if it's going the right way. If not, switch any 2 of the wires.

The extra connector on your battery is for balancing each cell. Nicd and Nimh will automatically balance the voltages in each cell of the pack. Lipos will not. You can buy a charger that will charge each cell individual, or if you already have a charger you can buy a balancer that will check each cell and level the voltages.

Return to “All About Electrics”