Spektrum receivers & Combat planes

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

ZenManiac

Spektrum receivers & Combat planes

Post by ZenManiac »

I bought my first 2.4GHz transmitter about a month ago, a Specktrum DX6i. Nice radio, lots of functions, and no worry about frequency conflicts.

It came with a receiver, the AR6200 2-receiver system, but I wanted to try it out in my HatTrick Arrow, converted to electric power, so bought a AR6100e "parkflyer" radio. It works great - I can control the Arrow to a barely visible height and to several hundred yards distance, with perfect control. I performed loops, rolls, spins, inverts -- all of the maneuvers I would normally use to shake Dr. Evil, but fail -- and everything went off without a hitch.

According to Spektrum, the AR6200 is for "full range aircraft", while the AR6100 is for "small electric models". But I don't see much difference between the way I fly the eArrow and the way I fly my SSC or Limited B plane, except that one has an electric motor and the others have glow engines. According to what I've read, these receivers should be more resistant to interference from the IC engine than my 72MHz radio systems. The guy at the local hobby shop suggested that the 2-reciever AR6200 would be important for internally-mounted receivers, and that if I surface mount the radio on my phencepost planes, I shouldn't have issues with the AR6100.

Would I be endangering myself, others, and my planes if I used the AR6100 receiver (at $30 less than the AR6200) in my combat planes? Is the 2-receiver setup primarily a CYA system?

Looking for guidance from you with more experience...
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I am using Spectrum in my combat planes. I am using the AR6200's for all my planes. even SSC falls outside the realm of "park flyer" AMA had some discussion last year and advised that park flyer RX were not acceptable for the NATS. For the extra money I dont think it is an acceptable risk to use a park flyer RX in compat planes. The AR6200 is the better choice. I have had some issues with older RX. with reconnect time after a "brown out" (momentary low voltage) but horizion is updating all those RX for free. All my Rx perform flawless now.