IC in 3696

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

IC in 3696

Post by Bruce B »

are slimmers allowed? I know this was thought of as an electric class and am a big fan of electric planes, but i have a couple of my old ic motors that i think would be up to the task.I only have a few good batteries left.(who would have thought that if you buy all of your batteries at the same time, they will all die at the same time)I have read about someone flying with nitro power a while back,but i am not sure about the current rules or guidelines.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bruce B</i>
<br />are slimmers allowed? I know this was thought of as an electric class and am a big fan of electric planes, but i have a couple of my old ic motors that i think would be up to the task.I only have a few good batteries left.(who would have thought that if you buy all of your batteries at the same time, they will all die at the same time)I have read about someone flying with nitro power a while back,but i am not sure about the current rules or guidelines.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Bruce,

IC engines are permitted in 3696 as long as you follow the RPM rules. .10's and .15's have proven quite effective.

Depending on the weather and the fuel, either may work. I had some success with a .10 but later switched to .15's because in some conditions the .10 couldn't quite meet the RPM limit. You should be fine with a 2oz tank. At 9,000 RPM I found the IC engine to be as quiet as an e-motor, and has a more pleasing sound.

A number of others have expressed interest in flying 3696 with IC power, and much to the credit of the original designers of the class, they didn't exclude any power plants.
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

thanks Alex. what kind of motor were you using? i am probably going to use a .15 but a 9x6 seems big for that size motor.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bruce B</i>
<br />thanks Alex. what kind of motor were you using? i am probably going to use a .15 but a 9x6 seems big for that size motor.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Bruce.

The first was on old .10FP. It performed decrently at times, but when weather conditions weren't great it would only turn 8,600 or so.

I switched to OS LA .15's and they haven't had problems turning 9,000 or more.

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”