Rubber Duck Antenna

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

Rubber Duck Antenna

Post by sgilkey »

I'm considering trying a rubber duck Tx antenna, not necessarily for combat- may be for combat, or may be for sport flying, depending on the feedback I get to this question: can anyone comment on these types of antennas, and do they give good performance in sport flying, and crowded combat-type flying? I remember they were popular when I flew pylon, but that was four planes at once max, and at very close range. I have a Tx with a broken antenna mount and a relatively easy fix would be to go to a rubber duck. thanks!
EK

Post by EK »

Bob Leone has used one for a couple years. He'd be the one to ask.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Vic uses one and he hasen't had no problems with it, I think there good for combat because they are not on your visions way like the original antena is
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

A local heli pilot uses one exclusively. He flies a few airplanes as well. I've never heard of him giving any comlaints about it.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I have one you can use if you aren't afraid of the color <font size="6"><font color="pink">PINK</font id="pink"></font id="size6">. I found it worked well and Corey had a RED one. The radio I used it on was a piece of s#*!! but I think it worked as well as the original. Ask Corey how he liked his. I think Sean accused it for some of his problems that were probably actually radio problems.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I'm not afraid of pink because unlike Rebs and NorthWestern Ohio boys I am secure in my masculinity. Or maybe I have just come to grips with my lack of it. Not sure!?!? If it has the mount and everything and you want to get rid of it please let me know. I have a Futaga 8UA Tx that my gorilla son ripped the antenna mount out of. I did that once before myself- it's a weak spot on this Tx and to fix it you need a new front case, which means all teh guts have to be moved to a new case. It's a nightmare of a job- a rubber duck antenna/mount would be much simpler, even if it's pink??? Do you suppose it could be covered in packing tape of a more manly color, say OD???? Thanks

Scott
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

I have a whip antenna that I use on my JR 9303. The stock antenna unscrews and the whip antenna screws in without any modification to the radio. Works great for me! I got it at my LHS.
boiler

Post by boiler »

The Duck has a wire that bolts to your board. The Duck mounts to the top of your case with a big nut on the bottom. The Duck is larger than the hole on the top. When I put it on my crappy Tracker III it cracked the case.[:(] That's the primary reason I haven't put it on one of my better radios like the cheap Tower unit. If your case is already cracked/damaged, I think your could hold it in place with household Goop.[;)]
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

I used one for years---no problems at all. Have 2.4 last couple years and its antennae is only 1" long!
lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgilkey</i>
<br />I'm not afraid of pink because unlike Rebs and NorthWestern Ohio boys I am secure in my masculinity. .......... snip ....... Do you suppose it could be covered in packing tape of a more manly color, say OD???? Thanks

Scott
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Nah Scott, leave it pink - it'll go with your dress [:D][:D][:D]
dirko

Post by dirko »

I have used one on my Hitec Eclipse 7 for almostr 3 years. After I stuck my orginal in a prop. You would have to try really hard to put a "Rubber Duck" in a prop, but it could be done.

They also claim the wave propagation makes it work better when you point the antenna at the plane, like many of us do anyway. [8D]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

i got a duck and it was a perfect fix for my broken 8UA tx. too cold to test fly it, it bench checks fine though!!!