Wes "Sheepy" Parmenter

This is where we discuss pilot recognition. What do you do to recognize Sierra Hotel pilots? Tell us your ideas!

Moderator: hbartel

THend

Wes "Sheepy" Parmenter

Post by THend »

The other day, my wife and I were talking about when Wes and his son came to visit us in California. They stayed with us for a few days, and we had a blast at AREA-52 and at the flying fields.

I just learned that Wes has passed, and frankly I am really bummed out about it. He was SOOOOOO damn funny! The first time I met him in person was the night before the first LoneStar Nats. We had driven 24 hours non-stop to Paris, ate at a BBQ place and then headed off to "insert name of dude hosting first LoneStar Nats". We realized or learned that Paris is a "dry" town. Well, no fear! Wes was on his way with "The Tick" and Michele and they had a few brews for all of us. Technically, "The Tick" had not been named that yet, but I will be darned if I can remember his name at the moment...but I do remember Michele..go figure.

Anyway, we had fun with Sheepy because his coroplast looked like it was gnawed by an angry beaver! We laughed and laughed.... Great time.

Next thing you know, I get a call from Wes and he wants to come out to California! Sure enough, he showed up and we all had a great time. I don't recall the contest so much as I remember the fun we had practice flying and the post game "relaxation"

Sheepy... I miss you brother..I've missed you all these years and now you have moved on to the big flying field above..

If anyone has contact information for his family, I would really appreciate it.

Here is a photo from his visit. I may have others...I know I have one of him with a brewsky somewhere....
THend

Post by THend »

THend

Post by THend »

You know, I actually met him and the triplets and the wife at the 2001 Nats, but I didn't really get to know him. They rolled in, late, and the back of his van just vomited planes. He flew the IL-2 I think, the nice kit from Waverly.

Anyway, found this out there...

Wes and his son Zack.

sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Sheepy was a hoot. He had an amazing ability to make me laugh. I loved how every innovation he came up with had "Sheep" somehow attached to its name, such as the "Sheepzilla" plane and the "Sheepthrust" tuned muffler. Whenever I think about him, I recall him relaxing in the pool with his kids after a meet, I think it was in Muncie but I'm not sure. He knew how to have fun and he spread it around. I've missed him in combat and had no idea he was ailing. What a shame.
BenJammin

Post by BenJammin »

I never had the pleasure to meet Sheepy but from what I knew of him online he was a heck of a guy. Here's his obituary.

http://www.hixson-kleinfuneralhome.com/ ... php?id=550
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Sheepy was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed attending contest with him. He did a lot of pioneering work on electrics in SSC. This was just before equipment became available that did the job well but Wes soldiered on with it and actually flew electric in a couple SSC contests. I especially remember a contest in Iowa. He had to wait until the last second to launch to conserve power and usually launched a little after start combat. This was to much for me to resist and I made a run at him as he started to climb out. Unfortunately my judgment was a bit off and his plane was a bit slower than I anticipated and I T-boned him about 10 feet beyond the engagement line. I felt bad about it but Sheepy took it in stride even when we were unable to locate his expensive motor and battery! I think they were eventually found in the tall soybeans.
He will be missed!

On a more selfish note I really hate to read obituary's on people who are younger than me!
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

D@mn....I hate to hear that....Sheepy was truly an original in every sense of the word. I had the chance to meet him a couple of times and don't think I stopped laughing the whole time. He had an ease about him that was truly cool to see....God bless man!!!
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Darn, Bad news for me...

I did not get to meet Sheepy, or get to fly combat with him.

Only met him on-line and he was always one to promote how much fun combat is and "let's just do it and have Fun !"

My prayers are with his family. They know the loss way more than me.

If I am able to be as great as Sheepy, I'll get to the Pearly Gates and he will say:

Next Heat, 'Start Engines' in 5 minutes...No excuses !

Thanks Sheepy,

Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team