ESC Question

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

Big Dog

ESC Question

Post by Big Dog »

I am using a castle Pheonix 45 amp speed control on my new project I am at about 29 amps on the ground and have not had a problem with these ESC's until a recent dirt nap launch. The next flight I burned the ESC including the Bec that it lawn darted uncontrolled. I replaced the ESC. tested it and got 1 good flight the next flight I burned a second control. no damage this time, but I am baffled as to the sudden esc burn outs. Any thought as to what to check before I burn up some more money in ESC'S.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Most likely a damaged motor. Have you checked the amp draw on the motor since the crash? It may be way up, or there could be an intermittent short in the windings that`s only happening in flight due to vibration or higher rpms.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

We saw this in action today at Richardson ... a pylon racer fitted with an electric motor that had been dropped actually set the ESC on fire!

If the electrics start smoking, UNPLUG the battery ASAP!
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I had a couple of phoenix ESC's that did the same thing, and I tracked it down to two things:

Intermittant short or binding in the motor causing a huge spike in amp draw for a very short time. If this happens enough, it'll fry the ESC.
My battery leads were way to long. The Phoenix ESC's are especially sensitive to this. You can lengthen the motor wires all you want, but keep the battery wires about 6 inches or so.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I found one of the bullet connectors on the motor was a little loose would that cause any amp spikes? I was thinking about a direct solder job but it limits what I can change for a feild repair
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Yep that can do it. I switched from 3.5mm bullets to 4mm bullets on all of my esc/motor plugs.

Return to “All About Electrics”