What's the best conector for what we do, Deans or Bullets?

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

o1moregil

What's the best conector for what we do, Deans or Bullets?

Post by o1moregil »

All my batteries from Hobby king came with the deans plug, but I been thinking of switching to bullet type conectors, the reason is to save me some weight and make it alot cleaner than the Y hardness of the deans conector, what are you guys using? :mrgreen:
Which_way_is_up

Re: What's the best conector for what we do, Deans or Bullets?

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Both. . . . now I'm no expert like Lee or others but in my case I'm leaving the Deans on for 3696 and my "Mini Me" Cobra and probably use "bullets" for SSC when I get around to building a couple. I know that doesn't sound like it makes a lot of sense but right now I can't see taking one perfectly good connector off to put another one on and right now I'm looking at flying single battery pack planes. I think that both "Deans" and "Bullets" are good connector solutions and only if there's a difference in the amp handling characteristics would I choose one over the other.

My question is where's a good place to get Deans at a good price?
"Tail end Charlie"
Criticize by contributing

Roy Appleton
RCCA# Ex-541
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Scott and I have standardized on Dean's so that we can use the batteries across all of our planes, which run up to 6S (3S2P). I am not sure what the maximum rating is for them, but I can tell you that soldering 10 gauge wire on Deans plugs is not very fun :)
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Ed Kettler wrote:but I can tell you that soldering 10 gauge wire on Deans plugs is not very fun :)

Ed: Try the MaxxProducts MPI #2818

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-5_files/2818.jpg

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-5.html

It is the slickest little thing I've seen in a long time, it makes soldering to Deans connectors a snap.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]
Monhty

Post by Monhty »

Hi

According to this table,

http://www.elektromodellflug.de/hochstr ... tecker.htm

original Deans Ultra could deal with 60A continuous or 75 burst, while 3.5 mm bullets would be rated to 80A continuous.

Chinese copies may be differently rated

Most RC car guys i've met use 5-6 mm bullets and they know something about high Amp draw

Monhty
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I've been opting for the chinese 3.5 bullet connectors. They are easier to solder and the solder surrounds the wire providing a stronger mechanical connection. Aslo I have been using silver solder, again to provide a stronger mechanical bond.

I have found the design of the Deans connectors in inconducive to soldering. Since the metal blade is encapsulated by the plastic, it will melt into the housing if overheated. A symptom of this is that you don't get good connection if you seat the connector all the way. If you separate it by 1mm it will connect.
Jeff Little
RCCA 900

The man who flies an airplane ... must believe in the unseen.

Return to “All About Electrics”