Video of some combat action!

Tell us how you go in for the kill. You'll find the latest combat strategies here.

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

Re: Video of some combat action!

Post by boiler »

I flamed out and flew very low and slow. Finally got the plane on the ground. Then "Dork" clipped my streamer before it landed!!! Hard to be evasive with him on your tail. :roll:
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

boiler wrote:Brian, I think you should use the handle that your dad gave you. "Dork" :P :wink:
Where is the "like" button????? :lol:
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

I've been working hard on my pursuit this season, I even enlisted Team Dork to help call for me while I was flying to see if it would help to have someone feeding info into the brain as I was flying. I think I made some progress, fewer midairs this year, a few honest to god setup cuts.

The most entertaining of them at Nats where I ended up chasing Brian for most of a round when everybody else fell out of the sky. Spending the large portion of the round 1 on 1 pursuit really helps the focus and looking for the tells. Certainly over the years I have cut his streamer a few times but not many are as fun as when it is actually what you meant to do. It worked out much as Scott outlined earlier; followed him to the long end of the field, closer to me than his position, and kept him where he could only pull up or out into the path to get back where he wanted to be. Unfortunately it takes me 3-4 min. to think that all out and recognize the position as its approaching. Thats probably why I can't average more than 2 cuts a round. Gotta get the Brain trained a little better.

The other thing I have not been able to do is tell who I'm chasing, I can follow a plane but I can't tell you who it is consistantly, does not help to learn the tells if you cant match it to the planes when everyone is in the air. Sorting and processing... I think I watch streamers instead of planes, when we did the team combat with different colored streamers I did real well at that while others were having more trouble picking targets by color. would you guys mind if I color coded your streamers at events?

Low flight evasion, great! I enjoy it from both sides, the difference for me is the plane, mine are not consistant enough, 1/2 are great and true and 1/2 are a little squirrelly for low work. It's not cool to chase low with a plane that is always seeking. Back to setup and prep, need to spend more time test flying and tuning planes to make sure they are all flying the same. Standardizing the building helped but there are always subtle differances in planes. Honestly I think they were more consistant when I did not have the cool radio with memory and trims, they all had to fly the same and building was done a bit more precisely.

Anyway, I like this thread and wanted to keep it moving along. Thanks to team Dork for all the help and advice this year, I hope to get a little more time to build and practice some day and have a little more to challenge the team with one day.

1 more thing, it was great to see William this year at meets, great change in strategy and style. William and Doc E have a very similar bump and run style that is pursuit to be certain but in a much more close furball pursuit style than what we have been seeing locally. It was great to watch them battle for points this summer and change up the pace a bit.
Sean #838
boiler

Post by boiler »

At Doug Goldman's meet last week a couple of my judges asked me if I knew who I was chasing. I replied of course, it's Mike. If I was chasing William, they didn't ask because he was pitting next to me and I talked trash as I chased him. Great time and great friends, that's what combat is about. Sean, if you fly more often you find each pilot will develop a color and pattern so they can tell their plane from the others. Once you learn it, you don't need different color streamers. On Realflight G5 you don't have that much ability to change the plane but you can change streamer color. Black is not a color option but there are many others.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]

Return to “Tactics and Strategies”