Max wind for ssc

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

Andy

Max wind for ssc

Post by Andy »

We are having our first club ssc fun meet tomorrow, the wind forecast is for average of 17-22 with gust to 27
About 1/2 of the guys want to cancel I keep telling them it will be a challenge for all, however the playing field will be level

What do you think show must go on or cancel

Thanks Andy
Lee Liddle

Re: Max wind for ssc

Post by Lee Liddle »

We fly in that kind of wind all of the time. As long as it`s not more than about a 45 degree tail wind it shouldn`t be an issue. I think that the AMA rule book give weather conditions that warrant cancelling or stopping a contest. I think it says 35mph, but you`d have to check, and ultimately I think it`s a CD decision based on safety issues. I say fly unless it gets unsafe in the CD`s opinion.
TEXAS ROCKS COMBAT HARD!!!

Lee Liddle
RCCA #628

[img]http://idata.over-blog.com/0/35/56/40/texas_flag.gif[/img]
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

Just throw it up.........if it's to windy, don't fly. :roll: Seriously.............. Don't let the wind raise concern unless it is really blowing. I have seen 28-30 gusting to 35. Real fun with SSC's. You really get to learn how to use the wind...Don't worry to much, unless it is blowing directly on to your back. That can play havic with launching.
Dave "Sparky" Davis
RCCA #870
"Earth is the insane asylum for the universe"
"May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings, slow to make enemies
and quick to make friends. But rich or poor, quick or slow, may you
know nothing but happiness from this day forward. The way you lived yesterday determined your today.
But the way you love today will determine your tomorrow."
boiler

Post by boiler »

I agree with Lee and Dave. It can be a bit of a challenge. Newer pilots may feel better if their judge launches for them from the safty line with the aid of a line marshal.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

just play it safer and launch the planes far from the pilots line, high winds are a challenge, its hard to align to your target :wink: .
NeilD

Post by NeilD »

Most of us posting fly here in N. Texas all the time. Wind is a common place here. The rule I was taught, while learning, was as long as the plane you are flying is faster than the wind is blowing you are good to go. No seriously, just play it safe and see how everyone feels the day of the event. Try it out and if the majority feel that it is not safe then call it.
James Neil DeLavan Jr.
Howe, Texas

AMA #919037
RCCA# 948
cherokee180c

Post by cherokee180c »

Here is the worst we have flown in. It was easily gusting over 40mph at the beginning of the day and calmed down to gusting over 30mph mid day. It was on the edge of safe. In fact, my buddy had his engine lean out and lose some power and he started flying backwards and lost it in the woods. The club found it the next day about a 1/4 mile away in a farmers field. I really like windy days though as it really separates the men from the boys!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psy3xDmAzMo
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

If it is too windy.....you will know it. I have been to events where we were flying in 30ish, gusting to 37. It would stop and hover the .15's and allow for an awsome downwind scream.
Dave "Sparky" Davis
RCCA #870
"Earth is the insane asylum for the universe"
"May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings, slow to make enemies
and quick to make friends. But rich or poor, quick or slow, may you
know nothing but happiness from this day forward. The way you lived yesterday determined your today.
But the way you love today will determine your tomorrow."