Trying Out E-SSC

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

midair02

Re: Trying Out E-SSC

Post by midair02 »

The down side of electrics reared its ugly head. I burned up 3 ICE's when double checking the RPM settings before Beantown. :evil: 2 of them burned up right away when I plugged in the battery. The other one wasn't hitting the RPM's. Grabbed a fully charged battery and tried it again and released the magic smoke on that one. There wasn't any visible damage to the ESC's prior to them burning up. They worked just fine after Dovre in April. Good thing I wanted to double check, otherwise I'd have nothing to fly in SSC. :oops:

I also had issues with the can coming loose from the front (where the prop adapter bolts on) and rubbing against the back. I had one seperate at Dovre. I test ran 3 more motors from the same batch and had the same problem. It doesn't take long for this to happen. 15 seconds top and the grinding starts. The other batch of motors I have did not do this yet so far.

With both of these issues, I'm going back to nitro. I can see and diagnose problems. It's hard to see when those electrons aren't firing right. :mrgreen:
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

I had a marginal experience with E-SSC at this years Lone Star Nats. I really wanted to give E-SSC a try at a major contest so it was gonna be an experiment for me.

I built 4 new E-Cobras, all came in under 40 oz before ballast. They are really nice flying birds, but they just don't have much armor. Power sytem performance early in the round was alright, but I lost some giddy-up later in the heat.
I badly damaged all 4 ships in first 6 rounds or less. Carnage was smoked ecs's, destroyed motors, prop cut wires, broken motor mounts and not to mention plenty O damage to the light non armored airframes. :cry:

I had to finish the last 4 rounds with one of my IC falcons and didnt have any damage other than a broken prop I think.

It was a great experiment but my E-SSC curiosity has been satisfied. Its back to the slimers.

I'm not saying its bad, its just not for me. :D

Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
dditch

Post by dditch »

I by no means have anywhere near the # of rounds as you guys but I know I'm going to keep at Electric.
The 2 times I had to rebuild a Nitro due to a spring time nap in the mud or replace carb parts, I'd just rather toss a $16 motor if it is suspect.

Bill, See if the ICE was on the recall list. I sent in a 75A and 100A 2 months ago and I got brand new ones with a case that clamps the heat sink (making it bigger).

I have yet to have a $14 HK SS 50/60A ESC fry on me.

The eRapier design give me all the protection I need for the battery and electronics. Nothing is exposed but the Motor. It may not be the lightest one but I can keep flying with multiple mid airs till my prop breaks. When I get a mid-air where I don't clearly see a wing hit, I typically stop my throttle then try to land and if I see 2 blades I re-engage.

I flew my 3rd 2548 contest this spring with both Nitro and Electric. The Electric flew really good.

I have yet to work any more on my power regulator circuit so I don't think it will see combat till the fall.
Attachments
erapier1.jpg
erapier1.jpg (92.83 KiB) Viewed 4663 times