Sign Vinyl Application on Warbirds

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

Dane McGee

Sign Vinyl Application on Warbirds

Post by Dane McGee »

It was requested that I do a short tutorial on my method for applying vinyl on Warbirds for a wrinkle free job.

Sign vinyl is a great covering for Warbirds, however making the end result look good and smooth can be a challenge.

I won't get too much into applying to the wing as it is really simple. On a wing I cut the covering about an inch longer and wider than the area to be applied. I do half of each side at a time. Spray panel with glue,
remove the backing and lay covering down on a table sticky side up and then lower the wing panel down onto the vinyl,....... then flip it over and smooth out the wrinkles with my hand .

I then trim the vinyl to lap over the edges cutting slits to allow for complex curves such as wing tips. After all covering is applied then use a heat gun and a cotton glove on your hand to rub the surface to really make the vinyl shrink down into the pores of the foam. It takes very little heat and a second too long will melt the vinyl. Experiment with a scrap piece to get the feel for how long to apply the heat.

Warbird fuselages can be a bit more difficult, in fact you can invent new cuss words while fighting with the vinyl if the proper procedure is not followed.

Since fuse's are mostly round and have complex curves, getting a full sheet of vinyl to wrap around it is impossible.
I cut the covering into 3" strips the length of the area to be covered. On most fuses I cover half length at a time.

Spray foam with glue and starting on the front on one side start applying vinyl. The shorter narrow pieces make it more manageable and seams are not a problem as this stuff really sticks to itself well and no fuel leakage should occur. Continue with the other side, then work your way back, cutting as many relief slits in the edges of the vinyl that it takes to eliminate wrinkles.

Relief slits are very important for a wrinkle free job. Don't be afraid of cutting as many as you think it needs in order to lay flat.

After sides are on next do the bottom. I just cut the piece to be applied in the shape of a long narrow triangle.....same goes for the top which is done last.

If you have some trouble spots, get out the heat gun and glove and work them down before you proceed.

To get a perfect job takes time and patience but it can be done. My last build only had a couple of small wrinkles that were easily smoothed out with a heat gun.

I don't have any pics, but maybe on the next warbird build I will snap a few and post um up then.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Quickdraw

Re: Sign Vinyl Application on Warbirds

Post by Quickdraw »

Thanks Dane. You use oracal 641? How much overlap do you use?
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Very little overlap is needed as it sticks so well to itself......maybe 1/4" or so minimum.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

Vinyl on order. I'm going to practice on an SSC wing before I tackle the Gekko.
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

I got around to covering the top of one of my SSC wings with vinyl. It takes a little patience and new skills (none of which I have). It looks better than a tape job. I don't think that it is near as strong as tape though. I learned not to apply heat directly to the vinyl. It produces static electricity when the backing is removed and will attract any and everything.
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338