Moderator: hbartel

Dane McGee

Re: Dehav Hornet Build Thread

Post by Dane McGee »

Maiden successful!

AUW 4#12 oz.
2-ASP's peaking 17.5K rpm 10% Byron
CG 30%

Very nice airplane to fly. No bad characteristics whatsoever. No snapping. Perfect glide with no tip stall tendancies. We have a winner.

Turns as tight as my mustangs but not as fast on the straight away. I think that as the engines loosen up I can get close to 18.5 peak which should improve speed performance. The bladder and stock needle valves held the setting spot on for flawless runs. I also adjusted the CG for subsequent flights which should result in even tighter turns.

Coming to an event near you :D
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Glad you like my design, and yours turned out looking spectacular Dane. I hope to see it fly one of these days.

Ed
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Ed Kettler wrote:................. I hope to see it fly one of these days.

Ed

.................Here ya go:

Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
boiler

Post by boiler »

Great looking twin!
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

Nice airplane what is the final weight?
Don Fourson 386
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

AUW 4# 12oz.
I used very little tape and lightest gear possible. This is just a big big airplane......lotsa foam.

At the Kansas event, Bruce was nice enough :wink: to fly thru the aft fuse between wing and tail......I had to replace the complete fuse from wing back. Added a couple ounces. I had to trim elevator and it had a high rate snap that was not there before.Still turns tight but loses speed out of the turns.
Last edited by Dane McGee on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Update after replacing everything from wing back . (Thanks to Bruce :wink: )

First flight was pretty good but had room for improvement. I noticed trim was out pretty bad on the elevator so I trimmed it out using the radio and just decided to live with it. It was hot at the field and I had a cold beverage waiting on me at home so I didnt think anymore about it.

While getting my stuff ready for the Kansas trip I happen to glance down the thrust line. Good grief! Turns out that I had about 2 degrees or more of down incidence angle after repairs when I glued on my tail section :shock:

So, I removed tail, installed shims in the appropriate places to correct the incidence problem and and took it for another trim flight today. I was amazed at how much difference it made in the overall flight characteristics of the airplane. I know its hard to believe but it actually flew like diferent airplane. No snaps at ultra high angle of attack and was faster out of the turns. Flies like it did before Bruce removed the aft fuse. :lol:

Of course I already knew that incidence is very important. This point just reaffirmed that it is easy to get lazy and just use the radio to trim for level flight, when I should in fact be finding out what is causing the need for trim.

Go Twins!!
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

Its amazing how much difference 1 or 2 degrees makes. When I built the first Spit I didn't pay attention to Chris's plans and zeroed thrust, wing and stab. While building the 2nd, I noticed that the wing should have 1 degree positive. I built accordingly and the 2nd Spit flies noticeably better than the first.
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338