Gluing in spars

Share your secrets for building safe, durable planes that kick butt!

Moderator: hbartel

Blue Note

Re: Gluing in spars

Post by Blue Note »

PFawcett wrote:Chris, I tried the polyseamseal. I think i will like it. one note for anyone going to try this method: make sure you allow them 24hrs to dry before adding tape. or it will not cure all the way.

I am interested to see how well int holds up to midairs and dirtnaps. it does stay a bit flexable. very little. Thanks for sharing Chris.
Paul,

Thanks for pointing out the overnight drying time necessary for the PSS spar installation. I failed to mention that. You can remove the pins after a couple hours to continue working on other things if you absolutely have to ( like flipping it over and installing the other spar ), but it continues to dry for quite a while. I usually build several wings at a time and tend not to get in too much of a hurry. I also tend to research out the "best" building methods as opposed to the quickest. Sometimes you get lucky and they are one in the same, however, often times they are not. The PSS spar method is not suitable for those that wait until a day or two before the next contest to begin building their planes. After dried, the residual tackiness of the PSS works really well bonding to the tape above the spar.

As far as durability, I have put several planes in the ground and into other planes without a single spar coming loose. I had one break in half from a direct center-punch ( special thanks to Nick W. ). The spar broke in half, but was still 100% attached to the foam with no distortion in the wing. A quick repair with some fast drying PU and a couple scrap pieces of 1/8" FG rod and it was ready to go in short order.

Good Luck!
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Gary, did you try the construction adhesive yet? If so how'd it work?
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Dane McGee wrote:Gary, did you try the construction adhesive yet? If so how'd it work?
I haven't tried it yet, Dane. I'll let you know.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]
The End

Post by The End »

Put the gorilla glue in spar slot, take the bidi and hit it with 3M-77 (I pull off the length and hang it in my doorway for spraying), wet the rod itself only, place rod in slot and press in with popsicle stick, then place bidi over spar slot, and finally hit the bidi with the woodpecker. When the poly cures, I just use my hand to shuck off the little dots that came through. :D