Electric Combat Previously -Battle for bean town (Lima Ohio)

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

Blue Note

Re: Electric Combat Previously -Battle for bean town (Lima O

Post by Blue Note »

PFawcett wrote:Chris, if you're willing to share the dimensions (tip and tip chord, sweep)for that plane, I'd like to build one.

10" Root, 6" tip and the leading edge of the tip is 0.75" forward of that of the root. Any symmetrical airfoil or one that is suitable for a "plank" will work, but many airfoils outside of these will present problems. ( A quick Google search will reveal several, often times found on slope gliding planks... each with different strengths and weaknesses. ) These additional pictures should also help. I typically round my motor mounts with a hole saw to match the motor mount just to clean things up a bit, but I think you can get the idea. Word of warning... this is not a flying wing! It is a plank and the correct CG is absolutely critical, but it may vary slightly depending on the chosen airfoil. A CG difference of 1/8" - 1/16" can make the difference between a great flying combat monster and a virtual nightmare that you can barely control enough to keep in the sky. Be precise. Fingertips won't cut it here. I balance mine on the edge a a very thin steel rule. This requirement makes planks VERY pitch sensitive and you should expect to use very little elevator throw with a lot of exponential ( like 50% )to smooth it out. It may take a little tuning in the beginning for your first one until you find the preference of your airfoil and any layout deviations you may have with your building alignment. That being said, once you have it tuned in, it is hands-off stable but can turn ridiculously tight if you want.

Try everything you can to keep it as light as possible. Mine are coming in less than 14.5oz AUW. There is little armor, but then little is needed as all of the planes are weighing about the same and flying at about the same speed. We penalize BIG TIME if you cannot make a full round and also have penalty points for impacts ( collisions ) to both parties, thus it has become a more precise game with less damage...especially with the planes of this size and speed. Increased speed is countered by having to use more throttle control or yo run out of power and lose major points... increased durability is countered by the propulsion requirements and added weight to haul it around... longer wing spans may offer increased cutting area, but take a weight and performance hit, etc. You probably get the idea. Good luck.

Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954
PFawcett

Re: Electric Combat Previously -Battle for bean town (Lima O

Post by PFawcett »

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to do that! I've already had some interest at the field.
Paul Fawcett
RCCA# 1034

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”