Biplanes in scale

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

Biplanes in scale

Post by Bruce B »

Has anyone ever built a competitive biplane for 2948 combat?
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
boiler

Re: Biplanes in scale

Post by boiler »

I have seen footage of Canadians flying Biplanes in combat. Not against single wing planes though. As you might guess they were rog take-offs and sometimes didnt't make it into the air. Damage looked major for what we might consider a love tap.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Please correct me if i am wrong but I dont believe there are any biplanes on the 2948 list??
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
PFawcett

Post by PFawcett »

The gloster gladiator and Polikarpov I-15 are both on the list and both are biplanes.
Paul Fawcett
RCCA# 1034
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

As well as the Fiat CR 42, and the Polikaprov I-153.
I thought they might be weaker and not as ding resistant as the monoplanes, but they just look so cool!
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

If you built a biplane what would the wingspan be? 24"x2 or 2x up to 48"
Don Fourson 386
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

When we were working on the rules, the biplanes were considered single engine and allowed to have up 48" wingspans on each wing. This does give them a theoretical wing loading advantage, but the extra drag, complexity, and fragility of the upper wing mounting would be enough to discourage most folks from attempting to build one.

Once upon a time we toyed with the idea of WW-I combat, and I built an SE-5 and flew it successfully, but I had an awful time trying to ROG launch it, and ended up having to hand launch. Somebody wanted to mandate ROG launches, probably forgetting the effects on the streamer being dragged through wet grass, etc.

I'd love to see somebody build an fly a biplane in combat and report on it.

Happy holiday y'all!

Ed
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Well, winter is here, there is Ice on the ground. Everyone is bored. So I decided to go ahead and build a biplane and see how competitive it will be. I'm thinking either Gloster gladiator or the fiat cr42. Will trade some speed (drag)for extra wing area. Any ideas, input from someone that's tried or wanted to try a biplane?
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Team_Oz

Post by Team_Oz »

Bruce B wrote:Well, winter is here, there is Ice on the ground. Everyone is bored. So I decided to go ahead and build a biplane and see how competitive it will be. I'm thinking either Gloster gladiator or the fiat cr42. Will trade some speed (drag)for extra wing area. Any ideas, input from someone that's tried or wanted to try a biplane?
Fly it like you stole it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Really did you think I would go there.
Bill1003