Electric Class at the NATS

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

mlapacz

Electric Class at the NATS

Post by mlapacz »

What is the "Electric" class being flown at the NATS this year?
Is it just the regular classes using electric motors?
If it's something new, I'd like to know if any guidelines have been created.
I've seen some videos of the European electric scale and it looks pretty interesting.

Mike LaPacz
Mike LaPacz
RCCA#1046
Green Bay, WI
midair02

Re: Electric Class at the NATS

Post by midair02 »

E-1000 is what we'll demo if we get time. Only rules we're working with is max 3S 1000 mAh battery. Whatever design you come up with is fine.
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
mlapacz

Post by mlapacz »

Thanks Will
Mike
Mike LaPacz
RCCA#1046
Green Bay, WI
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

Mike,
I will defer to what William says as he's the CD, but I think last year at the NATS the "electric" class was just meant for people to bring some prototypes for a new electric class that was being proposed as a new RCCA event. From my understanding the rules were going to try to be fairly simple mainly limiting the battery to 1000mAh, the use of a prop saver, no sticky stuff, and you had to last a 5 minute round without landing and putting a new battery in. We've flown a little club combat in the Milwaukee area with the little foamies...I think Bill & Mark bought "Bloody Wonders" or something similar to them last year at Joe Nall, I know Dr. Evil has been doing some club combat with "Bloody Wonders", I made a plane that flies pretty good and if you google "Fast and Furious RC combat" you'll find lots of info on the one I made. It has been my experience this past year that although the 1000 mAh foamies are fun if there's no wind, at 99.9% of our contests it is usually too windy for them. I think I saw the same scale combat video you saw on RC Groups from Italy, but spending that much time on a scale plane is too much for me...and I prefer glow anyways. I do think that the guys flying electric in our glow-dominated events are VERY competitive with the set-ups I've been seeing as of late such as in Davenport & your contests in Green Bay.
Think Spring!
Andy "Dr. Kamakaze" Runte
AMA #273119
RCCA #876
FAA #TOO LONG TO REMEMBER!!
Andy "Dr. Kamakaze" Runte
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876, North Central District Rep
AMA #273119
midair02

Post by midair02 »

Correct Andy. Just trying to see what people come up with. If just the 1000 mAh pack size is good enough, or not.
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

My experience flying an electric combat "class" has been pretty favourable...as long as you consider it a class in and of itself and not a direct competitor to SSC, Lim B, or Open B. My favourite rounds usually use a 1000mAh 3S Lipo with a 1300 KV Blue Wonder ( type ) motor and a GWS 8x4 prop to yield a very familiar SSC "feel" to rounds easily lasting 5 minutes at WOT. These planes ( plank ) are about 14oz, 42" wingspan and clocked at 36mph in calm conditions steady circles. Easily flown in 15mph winds with the skill factor going to those that manipulate the fact that the wind is going to push them around. Keep in mind, aerodynamics makes a HUGE difference. The exact same power system on a draggy, flat-foil plane, that actually weighed less, was noticeably inferior.

Now, take that same airplane ( plank ) and put a 1500KV Blue Wonder motor on it with an ASP 7x5E prop, and you have the Limited B experience. The 1000mAh 3S LiPo still cuts the 5 minute mustard, but just... and a little left thumb strategy can be rewarding. Bump up to a 1700KV BW and about a 1500mAh 3S Lipo ( don't remember prop ) and you are playing small scale Open B. NOTE : ESC requirements will vary for these different combinations. One can optimize for each "class" or go with the ESC that can cover them all...with a weight and possibly financial penalty.

The thing to remember is that it is a different game...in a way. The airplanes are smaller than what we see in the current classes, which means you will naturally tend to fly them closer to you. That really shouldn't be a big deal at all for most of us. The closer quarters is what provides the sensation of speed as decisions need to be made more quickly. Plus, these planes are lighter, which means less damage when you do have a collision or dirt nap. The components cost less, which is ALWAYS a plus. And, since your are flying in a tighter group, rounds can now occur at clubs with smaller fields. Got a club with a couple trees out from the runway? Great! Obstacles are just built in strategy opportunities other than just flying as low as possible. Real pilots use their environment, so can we. I believe if you are simply trying to create an electric version of what the RCCA already has, without fully taking advantage of the inherent differences between electrics and glow aircraft, it will be doing the opportunity a great injustice and may ultimately be disappointing.

Good luck.
Chris Gunter
East TN
RCCA #954

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”