Fuselages.

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

Ooops! Actually I hope WWII scale e-combat will allow almost any construction method/material as long as it somewhat resembles WWII fighter/attack airplane. If FFF turns out not to be so durable, then thats the penalty the pilot chooses.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I fully agree with Lou in that we really don't know what will work at this point. I couple of weeks ago I went to a gym and there were 4 slow sticks in the air at one time. The pilots naturally started to race, chase and attack each other. NOT JUST THE PLANE BUT THE OTHER PILOT!!! I got a slow stick and plan to take it to the gym this wednesday with a huge roll of 1/2 inch streamer made from scott toilet tissue thanks to my band saw. I figure 10 points per foot remaining after the first foot of a 15 foot streamer. 140 points as in rcca combat for a full streamer. No string, just masking tape to the cg or any part of the plane. 100 points per cut and 50 points for a full round of 3 or 5 minutes. Wait till all are up and then start combat is called, no 90 seconds with electrics. I think the slow sticks are not my cup of tea but combat is. If I can draw new pilots from this event it will be more streamers to cut down the road.
RC-AirWarriors

Post by RC-AirWarriors »

If Lou Melancon is a member of this organization, then I may have to ask to join also. True words of wisdom can be so inspiring.
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

RC-AirWarriors,

That's why Lou Melancon is serving his second term as RCCA president. He's the man!
catboater

Post by catboater »

Hey guys, here's what's happening in Seattle. Please note that none of the pilots in our group are experienced combat fliers. I have flown some c/l combat long ago but hardly any r/c.
We represent the new members all of you are interested in recruiting to RCCA.
Right now we have about 10 or so "members", if you will, that so far have flown 1 outdoor match. A few of us have flown some indoor combat and got tired of that dang cieling and airplane grabbing rafters. I came across Irones planes over at the E-Zone and ordered one on a whim. Four or so had ordered NES Street Fighters but found them to be WAYYYYY to pricey and not very durable. I showed up one day with Irones Jug and got a group to commit to flying outdoors one time with whatever they had. I passed out a couple of templates and some FFF to those who didn't have a "warbird" to try.
When the day came to fly it cold, windy and gray and nobody was really thrilled with the prospect of getting the frozen claw thing on their tx. After one sortie we were all hooked and stayed for another 3 hours.
You could fly anything you wanted to. There were 3 FFF, 1 Street Fighter, 1 generic foamy and a couple of Depron aerobatic airplanes. Some had brushless and some flew the GWS rig. It didn't seem that bl gave that much advantage over bp.
My point is that it was so much fun because it was cheap, easy and you weren't risking a really expensive airplane. Some of the guys are electric only. Myself, my son and two other guys all fly glow and giant scale gas. We have 2 new guys that are just coming off of trainers. If you start implementing a bunch of scale rules or no FFF or motor restrictions or ?????? we, and many others, will just walk away from RCCA. I've sent this link to our guys so they can get an idea on what's happening. I've already heard grumblings from some of them about the bickering going on here.
We're starting to talk about rules too, but more about leveling the playing field in a simple way.
E-combat is fun. I think we can all agree on that, except maybe not Drewjet. You guys should fly demos and open it up for new people with a Slow Stick, or a Street Fighter or a FFF and just let them get a taste. They'll come back, and then let's talk about rules.

Watch your six!
I'm back there.
THend

Post by THend »

Well, this was a hot topic tonight at the club meeting. Ecombat could easily become the largest combat game in town. The real die hard epilots noted that there will most likely end up being two classes. FFF type aircraft are better suited for Indoor combat, and better suited to fly amongst each other. The second class would be more of a Outdoor class, which allows for tougher planes. Well, rather than classify them Indoo vs Outdoor, we would want to classify them by what they are made of, or style of construction. Both cruciform, and conventional building methods will work. But, I think if we do not control the building style, we will lose all the FFF pilots quickly. They will still fly combat, but have nothing to do with the RCCA.

As for Scale this and that, I was working on two SSC P40s today, and all I could think was how fun it was to not worry about whether I was scale enough or not. If you want a Warbird class, call it just that and let it go. Warbirds are fun, who cares if it is Dago Red, or a P51 with invasion stripes.

PLEASE! Keep it fun!
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by catboater</i>
<br />
We're starting to talk about rules too, but more about leveling the playing field in a simple way.
E-combat is fun. I think we can all agree on that, except maybe not Drewjet. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You have had one match and you already realize there needs to be rules. I have been doing this for about 3 years, trust me there needs to be rules, and even then guys will find a way to exploit the weakness of those rules.

That is 80% of what I want. I may not say it in the most diplomatic of ways. The other 20% is it needs to be durable, and for me FFF is not durable enough. You will scare off as many new people with planes that aren't durable as much as you will with making rules that keep them out.

If we are going to call it scale then it will need rules of how scale is scale, otherwise it's just open.

Drew
gunfighter

Post by gunfighter »

Let's see a show of hands.
Who thinks this should be another 2610 scale class? (1 hand)
Who thinks this should be a "semi-scale" warbiurd class?(50+ hands)

Drew - wake up! You are all alone!

People have been flying FFF in electrics for quite a while now. They know it's not that durable, but it is a quick build and it's cheap! If they want to use it...LET THEM USE IT!

It is the old coroplast argument all over again.[B)]

Now... lets fly what we want for a while and get together at Paris for a big demo. Then we can inteligently discuss rules that we need to make this a fun class![:D]
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

Well said Gun.
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

I know Drewjet wants to have fun too. It is amazing what can happen to an event when the twisted minds of combat pilots start to think of ways to get a little edge. To be honest, I want the planes to be as easy and cheap as FFF, but once the arms race begins, there will be stronger methods. Maybe fff will be so easy they can be replaced each round with less trouble than the slab and airfoil planes. I will be giving the fff planes a good test with brushed and brushless motors just like several others have. I will probably have to get a slab plane too though just so I can see if 4 hours of build is actually cheaper than 2 hours of build. I suspect that the slab planes will ultimately end up taking less time in the long run. I don't think anyone is suggesting this becomes the scale masters, but it probably does need to have some scale requirements to keep it from becoming an open class. Remember, this is a wwii combat class, not a 3d fff class. I think what most people want is a stand-way-off scale class with easily recognizable planes that fly good, and are easy to build, and are durable. I am glad that there are folks out there pushing the envelope to make sure we can all play at a national level and have fun.
THend

Post by THend »

For the LOVE OF GOD, stop with the "easily recognizable" stuff already!! We need an avenue where the oddballs can play too! Or are we all wrapped too tight? They way everyone talks is that if it ain't a P51, Zero, or a Me109 it isn't worth having in the air. 32 inches of wingspan is about all we need to keep the airframes in line.

Phew, that felt kinda good! LOL
wparmenter

Post by wparmenter »

I didn't only mean the p51 etc. I meant(but didn't say) that if someone could look at it and say "oh, thats an Il2, or thats a Bearcat, thats a ju87 etc). In other words, not an extra 230 painted in camo or a generic fuse painted in camo.
slam

Post by slam »

o.k. let's add some words to it...how bout easily recognized if you have a ww2 aircraft dictionary on hand?[:D][}:)]

i love oddballs as terry does (maybe not quite as much). however i do like the idea of some sort of wording. if it is not incorporated in the "rules" than open designs will reign.

i think the reason you are seeing all the "easily recognized" planes being built right now is because we have all these pent up desires to build them, but haven't been able to because of 2610 arms race.

btw, i think this class will help build techniques of 2548 as we are pulling build techniques from them.

i know i owe a <b>BIG thankyou</b> to thojo for those cad drawings. i scale them to 32" then print. they are the best thing since sliced bread!!!!!!!!![;)]

as for the fff controversy, i say run what you brung. we'll see what works as we go. i am having a blast building scale planes with fuses, but wouldn't have any problem putting them up against a fff plane.

having experimented with both i think the full fuse is worth the extra work but others might not agree.

it's all good.

slam
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">For the <font size="4">LOVE OF GOD</font id="size4">, stop with the "easily recognizable" stuff already!! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Amen I think its the freaks that make it interesting.[:0]

Rules aren't going to make this work. Its getting out and flying it and having fun.
Ron
catboater

Post by catboater »

Wparmeter said it very well. We want easily recognizable airplanes and it should not matter what they're made of. As said above, the crappy designs will be weeded out by the serious guys, but if someone want to fly FFF or anything else, let them do it and have fun.
On another note, I test flew my FFF Spit today. It's a Digiset plan from Paulo that I bought on E-Zone. I had no high hopes for it but I've got to tell you that it flys like it's on rails. I had no idea a totally flat airfoil could fly so well.

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”