Baghdad rc combat

Want to unload some combat equipment? Here's the place to do it.

Moderator: hbartel

Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Robert I hope you guys have as much fun flying them as we did building them. They are a tough airframe and should hold up well to lotsa combat.
Have fun and God Bless.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Now that we know the packing assured a safe arrival, I shipped the next two planes today. They should arrive in 3-4 weeks. The shipping store I use saw the newspaper article on the planes, and gave us the maximum discount on the shipment!

I am looking forward to the pictures!

Ed
mad

Post by mad »

YA DONE GOOD ED AND FRIENDS.
SGT. ROB, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE SOME PIC'S OF THE GUY'S RELAXING WITH A LITTLE COMBAT RCCA STYLE. STAY SAFE.
Web-Pilot

Post by Web-Pilot »

Ed,

Do you have a copy of the newspaper article? Is it posted on the RCCA web site somewhere, or at least a link to the article?

Thanks,
George
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Here are the articles:

Dallas Morning News, Collin County Edition, Friday May 20, 2005, page 3B:

http://home.comcast.net/~ed.kettler/DAl ... g_News.jpg

Plano Star Courier, front page:
http://home.comcast.net/~ed.kettler/Pla ... rier_1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~ed.kettler/Pla ... rier_2.jpg

They are pretty big, so only use if you have broadband.
Ed
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

guys, I 've said it before but I'll say it again, GREAT JOB!
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Wonderful articles, and great job to all that participated on this project. It's reports and stories like this, that keep me in the hobby.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Well the second pair of planes should be showing up any day now and today Ed and I(actually I hogged the transmitters) test flew the third and last pair of planes, a couple more P-51s. They flew like a dream, it was a killer hot day (red ozone alert day) but the good news was there was only about a 2 or 3 mph breeze and so I could check the CG and trim very easily. Did I say that they flew like a dream! [:D]

So Ed should be getting these last planes along with 4 Lipo batteries, 2 more battery chargers, 20 more props, 2 spare servos and 2 spare motor prop shafts shipped shortly.

And that wraps up the project,
6-planes
6-Hitec Neon transmitters, electron receivers
6-BP-21 motors and controllers
18- Hitec 55 servos
12- 1320mah Lipo batteries
6- Lipo battery chargers
60- 8x6 Props
Lots of misc hardware

Have fun guys! [:D]
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Great job Roy, thank you for all the hard work you have put into this project.
boiler

Post by boiler »

A great big atta-boy for Roy and Ed. [:)]They did the work and carried out the project while guys like me just donated to buy the stuff. I gotta start to build for the cheese state in less than 2 weeks, then I gotta build for the NATS. Ben cleaning out the garage and barn so I can get back into the workshop. I got some work done in the workshop but it was on the drywall not the planes.[:(]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

This morning I shipped off the third and final set of planes and support equipment to Iraq, and sent a note to Rob so he'd get a SITREP. Rob emailed me back, and here's his note:

<i>Hey Ed,

I finally had a chance to sit down and send ya'll a note. We're doin fine here, have only attempted to fly a couple of times, it's been busy, and when it's not busy it's too windy and dusty. The planes are awesome! Very durable, we've beaten em up pretty hard. Everyone wants to try their hand at em! I am trying to slow the roll rates down some, as the aircraft are even too quick for me in the
limited space we have here. I'm going to make sure the other aircraft stay with the rest of my unit, and don't get sent out here to us. They might be able to get a little more flyin time in than we can here. I'll be sending photos soon, within a couple weeks I hope. Depends on how busy we get here. Also, any tips on slowing em down a little? They're even kickin MY butt! Then again, I've never flown anything this high performance. But the planes are simply awesome!
I'll talk to ya'll soon, and thank everyone from all of us at the Baghdad Police Academy!

SGT Rob</i>

I emailed him some advice on the plane setup to slow the roll rates. It looks like we are fulfilling our objective of providing fun and excitement to our troops far away.

Thanks, guys, for making this all possible.

Ed
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The unit has a web site: http://www.546asmc.50megs.com/index.html and I happened to find a photo of SGT Rob re-enlisting (he's on the right)
<i>from 546th Home Page</i>

Way to go Rob!!

Ed
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I got a brief note from Rob today:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ed,

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you in so long. Been pretty busy here. I did get a 2 plane shipment here, and I know of at least another 2 plane shipment at my home unit. Ours are flyin great, when we get the rare chance to fly, and I think that they've been restricted lately from flyin where the rest of the unit is due to operational ceilings on military aircraft in the area. They're lookin for a spot to fly, but I haven't heard of any luck lately.

I'll try to touch base again soon, and get some pics for you from here!

Rob

----- Original Message -----
Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 6:47 pm
Subject: Sent From R/C Combat Association Combat Forum by Ed Kettler

> Hello robert.santarsiero
>
> You received the following message from: Ed Kettler
> (ed.kettler@comcast.net)
>
> At: http://www.rccombat.com/forum/
>
> Rob,
>
> I hope all is well and that you and your friends are safe. Did you
> get all three shipments of planes? Six planes total. How are they
> flying?
> All the best!
> Ed<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sounds like we have made some friends!

Ed
mad

Post by mad »

Good to hear from you Sgt. Rob. You guys stay safe, and maybe we will see ya next spring at the Paris Tx contest.