E-3696 Warbird Combat

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Got another first flight to report: this time it is Colonel Cash "The Target" Hargett's beautiful (not sure you can actually say that with the next word) Buffalo in VF-2 Fighting Chief's prewar scheme.

Here's Cash before the flight. Is that a look of concern, pre-flight jitters or just gas?[:D]

The Buffalo was a carrier based plane, so it had to be catapult qualified. Here's JP Morere giving the Brewster a world record spear chuck for its first flight.

Cash had a couple of interesting moments on the sticks getting the plane settled in (too much aileron and not enough of elevator) that got worked out during the first flight. I didn't think Cash could say "too much aileron"[:)]

Here's photographic evidence that it did slip the surly bonds of earth

JP and Cash spent a few moments after the first flight making radio changes

Here are some shots from flight two:

The Buffalo weighs in at 31 ounces, and does not appear to be underperforming for its weight, which is offset by having a very generous wing area. It might not win a turning battle, but that puppy can get going pretty fast going downhill. Climb was good, rolls crisp and axial, some tendency after about 4 turns to want to get snappy, but very quickly recovers with release of back pressure.

Great looking and flying plane Cash!
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Ed, thanks for the pics. To be accurate, it had way too much aileron and a bit too much elevator on the first flight...I usually never say the words "too much aileron" but I did today!! Anyway, I got it down in one piece, dialed the rates back, and we triead again. This thing just flies "pretty". It grooves nicely, does't seem to get snappy unless you load it up in a tun and slow it down quite a bit, and just like Ed said, you back off the stick a bit and it resumes flying. I was really concerned that, at 31 onces, it was going to be a pig, but it flys quite well. Turns pretty tight, has plenty of power, only place it really suffers is in the climb, and not by much. We put the Wattmeter to it before flight, and I must be somewhat lucky at choosing motors, as the 1000 kv Rimfire is pulling right at 9000 rpm at about 15.6 amps. We ran the pack dow, whole flight full throttle, motor and pack were'nt even lukewarm..maybe 10-15 degrees or so aver ambient. I let JP fly it, and we agreed that, even at a slightly porky 31 ounces, the plane would be quite competitive with the current crop of birds, a person would just have to alter his tactics a bit.

JP, Ed, thanks for the help!! I love this stuff...[:)]

Cash
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Should have another bird ready in a week or so..anybody care to hazard a guess as to what it is? (JP, Ed, you already know, so no fair hollering it out!!)[:p]
boiler

Post by boiler »

Thanks for the report Cash.[:)] We got snow today.[:(] Looks like yours melted.
jj

Post by jj »

Nice report and GREAT in flight Pics.

I just love the way these planes fly. The performance is great, but not absurd. They fly like high very performance airplanes, not guided rockets, which I believe is a perfect balance for scale combat.

I've noticed the same initial flight characteristics on my planes as well. That short span makes for an incredible roll rate.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

They sure do fly great. Slam and I had about 4 sorties over the weekend at our electric only field. Had a bunch of fun, convinced another to jump on board as soon as he can arrange the funds. Around 10 AM the wind picked up and most everybody was packing it in for the day, but we kept flying and a lot of the newer guys were suitably impressed.

Are you guys setting RPM everytime, or just flying at a lower throttle setting like gentlemen?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I check mine every time that I fly with streamers. I`m not sure that others are though, some of the flight times seemed a little short. Semi burned up esc`s can suck extra amps though and give nothing back but more heat.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

One other question.

Is everyone at 28 ozs? I know you guys were under weight before the rules discussion. In the video that was posted it appeared that your guys planes were maybe a tad better preforming than our Florida planes. Maybe just jealousy....
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Lessee...
Yak-was at 25.5, now at 28+ (took out the minis on the ailerons and
replaced with old full size servos)
Machhi-27.75..needs a quarter ounce..or a quarter!!
Brewster-31

All my planes are set up to run 9000 or a bit less at full throttle and ATV. My charger typically charges each lipo to 4.1 instead of 4.2, and I actually like it that way, as I hate to diddle with my ATV. However, my newest plane will have a 2908 installed, so I guess I'll have to get used to it..[;)]

Cash
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Excellent info, Thanks Cash.

Any one else?
jj

Post by jj »

My planes are btwn 29-30 oz

Up here at altitude I've been flying closer to 9,800 rpms with the ATV setting. I generally dial it back in the air at times but use that for take off. Still waiting for others in CO to finish up their planes.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

My Mustang is 28 on the nose. The F4U is a little over 29. Both of these are using 4s 18650`s for the battery. I still have to dial back the EPA but not as much as with the 2908.

The P-38 is a little over weight at 37oz.

In the videos the Mustang and P-38 were both at 9k. The F4U was only at about 8.5k due to what I later discovered was a bad cell in the battery (a fatality of early testing when I thought that the 18650`s would be like A123`s)

If you look closely at the videos, you can see that I got both cuts by using energy managment and trading a little altitude for speed to close on my target. The Mustang and Ed`s 190 were very close in speed, but because of the lower rpm the F4U was a little slower than the 190.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The FW-190 in the video was tached at 9K before launch, and weighs 28.25 ounces. Still working on the Beaufighter, trying to get the CG to work out without adding too much weight; without any lead it is 35 even. The next twin will have a fuselage that extends well past the spinners!!![:D]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Great input, Thanks guys.

Maybe it was just my imagination. Somehow we will have to all get together to really see.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

No it wasn't your imagination. . . . Texas planes just fly better! [:0][:D]

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”