3696-Twin Engine Me410 Build and Evaluation

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I hear that there are A sized 123s in the works and there are some 1300mah li-ion cells that I`m going to try, but for now lipos are the way to get the best power/weight ratio which is important on the smaller models.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Lee is the P-38 the 60" model you were flying a couple of months ago, or the larger one you had planned.

It's a nice looking ship. I don't know how you get it this clean looking. I have trouble getting all of the wiring hidden inside.

I had my 60" model flying with 3S2P A123s and it flew well with easy launches and good vertical. UNTIL, a solder joint on the elevator wiring came loose and I had to land it hot to keep from nosing it in. Not too much damage and it is now repaired. As soon as I get some cowls made and installed I'll try to post a pix. Even with the A123 cells the RTF weight came in at 3.5 lbs.

It doesn't meet any of the combat class criteria, but I really like the ship as it looks good in the air and flies well.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Cajun, this is a new plane. It`s 3696 sized. 45" and weighs 35.5oz. I just got back from maiden flights. The motors were only turning 8.2k, not sure why. Test runs on the bench gave top rpm of 9.3k. The temps for the flights was about 38 degrees. I think that the temp was the reason for the lower rpms, but I`ll have to check it out.

The plane flew great, very resopnsive and easy to fly. With the rpm down 10%, I wasn`t happy with the speed or power, but at 9k it should be quite a bit better.
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Thanks Lee

<font color="red">VERY NICE!</font id="red">[^]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />I bought a pair of 2409-18 motors that have a 1000kv. These are a better match for our needs than the 2409-12. The 2409-18 turns the prop at about 9300rpm at full stick so very little dial down is needed. As a result of the better ballance, they only draw 8.5a each at 9k static. That`s 17a for the pair!! That`s big news because the plane can now use the same 8c or 10c 2000mah batts that we use on the singles.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Gee, that would have been nice to know a couple of weeks ago[B)]. Oh well, the plane is coming together nicely. The fuselage of the Beaufighter is almost done, the wings are gluing up in the shucks. I'm debating the merits of a detachable wing versus a single piece airplane. The Beau is midwing, making it a different proposition compared to my Me-110 or Lee's 410. Any thoughts?
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Jeez, Lee, ya build like yer gearing up for THE BIG ONE...cool!!

That's a real nice looking '38 you have there..looks real sweet, hope it flies as nicely as it's big brother!!

Cash
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Gee, that would have been nice to know a couple of weeks ago<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well Ed welcome to electrics. Things change quickly. I just got these motors last week and didn`t know what they would do. It now looks like they will need 4s 2000mah or larger capacity 3s to get them up to a solid 9k. Keep on building, the set up you have will work fine.

Thanks Bill and Cash.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Ed, I`d say just do it in one piece. Removable wing adds weight and complexity. Your garage and car are big enough.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

I was trying to figure out where Lee had put his pictures of his second P-38 and found them here in the Me410 thread. So here's a photo I took of it last Sat. when the guys where out flying.

Serg

Post by Serg »

Fail to follow rule-changing-stream.

Question: can 48â€
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Currently the proposal is set at 45"
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I converted the 2409s from GWS slow flight props to APC 7x6E slow flight props, and like them a lot more. I don't feel that I am going to shed a blade in a dive like I did with the GWS props. The Beaufighter flies great in the wind, and glides really well, so approaches have to be managed or you have a nice walk.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

BTW Ed. I put the 2409 on a 2s 1300 that I bought on line for $15 and it was doing about 9.2k at full throw and drawing about 13a. Two of those might work great with these motors. I have a pair with Dean`s plugs on them. We`ll check it out.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

that sounds interesting Lee. Could make a big weight difference, but need to watch my CG on the Beau.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

so for a twin you would need 2 1300 MAH 2 cells, probably not much heavier than 1 2000 3 cell

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”