Spar Repair kits

Here you'll find helpful hints on making your planes stronger.

Moderator: hbartel

Hat Trick

Spar Repair kits

Post by Hat Trick »

I'll have wing spar repair kits at the Nats. Kit consists of a syringe and a needle to inject probond under the covering to repair spars which have got broken loose in the foam.

You just inject the glue around the spar and let it dry! It's a good idea to do this when you have time to be around and push down and wipe away any glue that foams up or out.

Cost is 1. 25 each. 5 for 5$

I haven't found a way to clean the needle and syringe yet. There may be a way though! I haven't tried to hard!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Mike, I think i finally found a way. Put a small amount of mineral spirits in a cup, and just suck it in and out several times with the syringe, it flushes everything out real nice! the biggest thing you need to be concerned with is clearing out the needle, strangely, i have found that even if the syringe is left with glue in it, most of it peels right off the syringe body, though the plunger retains some residue. However, this does not seem to affect its operation!

Scott Gilkey
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Mike,

I'll try five of 'em. I've been cutting my ripstop and then sewing it back together. Not only do people make fun of my planes, but it's a pain to sew 'em up! So save five for me!

Thanks
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Mike,

What bore needle are you using with these? I've used thinned epoxy before to accomplish the same thing but haven't tried it with ProBond...

Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

16 guage seems to work pretty well. Pro bond is pretty thick stuff so you need a pretty large needle.