Would a Gentlemens agreement work ?

This is the thread to aid in development of new ideas and classes. Post working rules and gather feedback!

Moderator: hbartel

mad

Post by mad »

Jimbo.

If you believe in what you are trying to push. don't hide behind the NPS and a gentlemens agreement to test it. Call it what it is and see who comes. It would be your first step to provisional class.
You already have a huge advantage over SSC and 2548. All the compenents are out there just put them together.

I like your concept of of a slower 25 size. however if you are going to prove its merits make it count, Running an open b contest with a "gentlemans agreement" proves nothing
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

This is just a one shot deal(I think). I plan on having MANY demos.To make them REAL demos I've got to get some Slashers built. My Raptors are under weight.

S?C
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

A contest run with a gentlemans agreement could and should be elibable for NPS. If it is a forced agreement then no. A gentlemans agreement makes it a lot easier to have a contest and try to get good data on a new concept for a class. There is no down side.

Glad our trip to Houston did some good Jimbo! It was a good time and a great investment in combat!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks Mike,I agree [8D]

S?C
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

That might be a good idea, until some Sierra Hotel RC combat pilot shows up and flies a hot bird for a 4,500 point five heat day.
I'm very much in support of flying a slowed B class. I think it's a great Idea.
I am not at all for gentleman's agreements.

NUNC AUT NUNQUAM
Mark V.
The perpetual 'newbie'
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

There is very little chance of that happening at one of our contests. It's always the same faces that show up here anyway. Most, probably all of them would love the chance to fly a B contest without tearing up their B planes and that will be left up to them. I'm sure everyone has room in their field box to bring their UltraThrust or mouse can just in case.

S?C
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Mark have you talked to Kirk about their Gentlemen's Agreement or is it just me? You're a very nice guy and I respect your opinion but I'm not going to argue with you about this.
Kirk has anyone had any compaints about your Gentlemen's Agreement in A class?

S?C
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

I haven't heard of any 'Gentleman's agreement' in A class. fill me in.

NUNC AUT NUNQUAM
Mark V.
The perpetual 'newbie'
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

All I know about it is that he and the guys he flies combat contests with decided they didn't want to run the really high performance engines. We talked about it at the Paris contest and from what he told me it is 100% voluntary "Gentlemens Agreement". Sounds to me he has the same situation I do, the same faces show up to his contests.

S?C
montague

Post by montague »

Jimbo has a pretty good grasp of what we've been doing out here in A class.

We'd allow someone to fly a Fora if they wanted to (and there is one guy in the area that has one, but for various reasons it hasn't made it up in a contest yet).

But since the "top" pilots in the area all have decided to fight it out with eyes, thumbs and airframes, and not at all HP, then the newbies see what we do, and tend to want to fight on our level. As long as the top dogs don't go HP nuts, no one else is really tempted to, and it's worked so far.

I also suspect that the fact that the really high performace .15 engines are rather exotic and uncommon, espeically around here, helps. The guys that watch and talk about (and are finally showing up to) join us don't know about those engines. It's not that we hide their existance, I talk about it plenty. But guys see the performance we get with the engines we run, and they seem to think it looks like fun as it is. It might be different if those engines were available at the LHS or seen in sport flying around here.

The whole thing was actually unspoken, just kinda understood. No one used mousse cans so no one went out and bought or made mousse cans, and so forth. If we wanted to win, we build better airframes, or worked on flying better, HP just wasn't seen as the way to win. It only became "spoken" and a "big deal" once all the noise started about SSC and all the SSC-backers started attacking A class, and some set out to "prove" that SSC was the one true way.

Kirk Montague Adams
RCCA 560
http://www.MidAtlanticCombat.com - Combat in the Mid-Atlantic Region
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Kirk, apparently SSC is the one true way. I see only 14 participants in NPS Open A, and most of them are from Texas. Where are all of these Open A flyers you keep talking about from your area. Are they all hiding under a rock[?]

BTW, SSC has 114 participants in NPS.[^]

CAJUN [8D]
Lone Star Combat State
AMA-CD 174052
RCCA 380
NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS
MY MIND WORKS LIKE LIGHTNING,,ONE BRILLIANT FLASH AND IT'S GONE!!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Come on Cajun, give Kirk a break. At one time you thought C-Class was the daddy.[;)]

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
RHorton

Post by RHorton »

A gentlemans Aggrememnt is just that a aggrememnt between gentleman. I didn't see anything in Jimbos first post that said I had to fly stock mufflers, but rather I could chose to fly stock mufflers with the rest of the pilots. This event would be an NPS event, period!
mad

Post by mad »

So lets have our cake and eat it two. You want to try something new (or old in this case) but only if you get nps for it. VALIDATE YOUR VISION ON ITS OWN MERIT and quit hidding behind the NPS to draw people there.
Personaly I would be more likely to fly the slowed down version of B since I have limited build time.
Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

The RCCA offers three things that make it a national organization.
1. Connections with a) each other, b) the AMA
2. Structure : We all pretty much know what to expect at any RCCA contest.
3. NPS : The yard stick we use to compare our dogfighting skills. A class points in Va. mean the same as A points in Texas. The same for 2610 and B.

My gut reaction is a slowed down B would better for the scores of the good pursuit pilots than the furball jocks, and good for the survival of all. But piloting at your proposed B contest wouldn't reflect the same skill set as say Hamilton, Paris, Or Dixie.

I urge you to go forward with your idea under the provisional rules cause I think it's a great idea and, so far as I can see your neck of the woods is the most concentrated force in US RC combat. If it works and is popular there it has a great chance to go nation wide.

NUNC AUT NUNQUAM
Mark V.
The perpetual 'newbie'

Return to “Proposed Provisional Classes”