SpecB Class

Club combat? Dogfighting with buddies? Let's hear about it!

Moderator: hbartel

Jimbo

SpecB Class

Post by Jimbo »

I flew my SpecB plane today with a .25FP and I was very pleased with the performance. It was as close to SSC speed as I have seen with a .25 I didn't check the weight or the RPM's yet. It was too hot and crowded to stay at the field very long.It feels like it's less than 3lbs even though it has two 3/16 rods and a 1/4 bass spar in the wing.
This is the first combat plane I have ever been able to build so fast. I can build(complete)4 wings in five hours,cheap. This is going to be GREAT for club level combat, even better than the Slasher.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

I'll work on getting mine built this week since I don't really have anything much to fix from this last weekend. We can maybe try a few sorties of that mixed in with the Limited B stuff during our full Saturday of combat...

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We need to get our group together and bring our SpecB planes to Houston and fly with Bert and his gang,if they have a grill[;)].

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

I'll be over there the weekend of the 18th and 19th to do my sleep study and plan on taking some planes and going to see them Sunday morning before coming home. Why don't you collect Tony and come over...

gunfighter

Post by gunfighter »

Jimbo, BC.

What are the spec's for your class (proposed)?
I was thinking along the lines of:

1. 48" WS, 10" chord, 1 1/2 or 1 3/4" thickness. constant chord / constant thickness

2. plane must have some type of fuselage (profiles OK)

3. Flat bottom or semetrical OK and flying wings OK as long as the wing meets criteria ad it has a fuse (not just a motor mount).

4. Max .28 engine (stock), standard muffler, muffler pressure only. 10X3 prop. Engine must be R/C capable. No aftermarket carbs, mufflers or any performance enhancing modifications.

5. Max weight maybe 3 pounds?

Gunfighter
Commander
Alamo squadron
Republic of Texas Combat Air Force
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Gun,

I'm too lazy to go out to the shop to take a pic of mine but heres Jimbo's from another forum:

<b><i>Spec B Plane</i></b>

Here's a breakdown of the initial rules ideas:

RCCA scoring will be used.
Max engine .28cid
Must have functioning R/C carb.
No tuned exhaust.
Engine price limit with muffler is $130. USD (retail)
Engine claim rule is for $130.USD
Flat bat must be used for body.
Wing must be 11.25" straight chord(no tapers), Ailerons included.
Wing thickness no less than 1.25"
Max Wing Span 48"
Must use at least two full sized servos
AAA battery packs and small Rx's are allowed.
Dry flying weight must be at least 3lbs.
No flying stabs
Don't know what prop or RPM limit yet. We need help on that. Are there any other suggestions?

Bad Dawg

Post by Bad Dawg »

Just for fun I might play with this idea.

Are you guys thinking of having a fuse length rule? Maybe I could use my Open B Choker fuse.

Anyone thinking about using Spad Wings?

NUNC AUT NUNQUAM
Mark V.
The perpetual 'newbie'
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Mark this project is still in it's early stages. The weight is going to be upped to 3.25 we checked them this weekend and 3lbs is too low. I don't see a need for a length minimum but that may change too.
SPADS can be used, it does not have to be foam. I may also take out the full size servo requirement so that guys needing to save weight for their SPAD wing can do so.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
RH

Post by RH »

I'm thinking about giving this a try. It will be 2mm SPAD wing. Are you insistent on the flat bat fuse or will other types be allowed if weight limits are met?

rh
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

RH

As of now this is only our club combat class. We call it SpecB. I am hoping it will catch on but we are not pushing it as a nation wide thing. The black flat bat is more durable than gutter pipe and easier to find and cut than HDPE so that's what we are going with. I'm thinking this will be THE class for the NSCC.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
RH

Post by RH »

Hey George, are you following this thread? I'm thinking this one will work for our altitude and hopefully is slow enough to get some new guys interested. That wing size is about the same as the first SSC wing I built. It was a flat bottom and worked great, but slow. I'm gonna put one of these spec ships together and fling it.

rh
Web-Pilot

Post by Web-Pilot »

Randy,

Yes I am watching this. If you have it done on October 2, bring it up and we can see what it does. Or September 25th at Airpark. I think you will be Volley Balling on the 2nd if my fading memory serves me correctly.

George

George Kerr
Web-Pilot
AMA 4362
RCCA 580
www.milehirc.com/Combat/
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Looks like the Mag.28XL is a perfect engine to run in this class. It's a good power match up with this plane.And the price is right.

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Tony can you do some tach tests with a 9x4 MA and a 9x4 APC ? By the way, what prop did you and Travis use this past weekend ?

Limited-B
Try it,you'll like it !
BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

I was running an APC 9x4 and Tony was running an APC 10x3. Tony probably had a little advantage in straight line speed but I could hold my speed a little better through repititive turning.

I tached Tony's new Magnum 28 that he just got from LT and it was turning that 10x3 around 14.4 to 14.5 or thereabouts.

The planes flew really well this weekend. The speed is just for these planes. They fly well but are by no means a hand full. We had our share of love taps and full on mid-airs and neither of us is out a plane. I probably have about an hours work give or take to have my one fuse and two wings ready for this weekend. I would guess Tony has about the same maybe a little more. They are holding up really well.

So far I'll give the concept an A.

Return to “Sport Combat Issues”