SpecB Class

Club combat? Dogfighting with buddies? Let's hear about it!

Moderator: hbartel

BigCountry

Post by BigCountry »

Dane,

There is a couple of threads on the www.rchangout.com combat forum that have some pics and some basic design descriptions and parts. Basically we're using a black flat bat, 48" 1 piece unmodified Clark Y airfoiled wing 10" chord root and tip with 1/8" fg rod spars top and bottom and 3/32" fg rod in the leading edge.

Coroplast tail feathers that slide into slots that have been cut into the bat. A Dave Brown motor mount that attaches to either an HDPE or aircraft ply back plate and some stock 25 motor.

I've been using some Magnums I had lying around. Tony has flown his with both a Magnum and OS motors and Jimbo has some Irvines on his. We pretty much stick with either an APC or MA 9x4 prop. The planes will generally come in around 3.25 to 3.5 pounds but with all the wing area with that hershey bar style wing it flys really well.

They fly and turn will but bleed speed in the turns to the point where after a couple hard turns you have to break off and try a different attack. Cuts down on the turning battles which sooner or later lead to mid-airs. Because the speeds are down they have proven to be really tough.

I've retired one fuselage but still have all four wings that I've built. Jim finally retired his first wing today after I gave it a good shot with my motor. He also has retired one fuse as well and these are definitely not once a month fliers. We've hit a slow patch here lately but most times we'll fly on average 3 weekends a month average 10-12 heats a day and we get after each other.

We all enjoy it because it's 1)Very fun 2)Very Simple 3)Pretty darn cheap and 4)We're all on a pretty level playing field so it comes down to which one of us is on our game that day....It may not be the best option for some but we definitely have had more fun doing this than anything we've tried on a club level. I'll try to get some pics taken Dane to give you a little more detail of how they go together...I think you'll enjoy them [:)]
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Thanks Travis, just the info I was looking for. I'll check it out the rchangout and see the pics. We fly 48" smacks here for practice and they are a blast but I'd like to build a couple of new constant chord wings to try.

Thanks again.

Return to “Sport Combat Issues”