AVENGER 1072 and sscAVENGER Preview

So you got a hot plane, eh? Tell us why you think you're gonna be Top Gun this year!

Moderator: hbartel

aseaholm

AVENGER 1072 and sscAVENGER Preview

Post by aseaholm »

TEAMseaholm is already hard at work for the 2005 season. The TEAM has taken no time to gel and get to work on improving the AVENGER line.

The AVENGER 1072 is targeted to save 2+ oz. over the 972 with improved wing durability and turning performance. We're right on target and the new airfoil and increased wing area should get us the performance.

Here is a 1072 prototype fuse:

The new sccAVENGER will be TEAMseaholm's first purpose designed SSC version. The proto fuse is alrealy a full 2 oz. lighter and the new wing design and airfoil should really improve performance. The tank location should provide minimal CG shift to give a consistent feel from the start of the heat right up till horn.

Here's a peak of the new sscAVENGER fuse design:

2005 is shaping up to be a great year. Glad I don't have to fly against these guys... [:D]

S3HD

Post by S3HD »

They look great AJ. I just checked your website, and will check back later to get the new prices on the 1072.

I see how you came up with the name for the SSC version, but my eyes read "Scavenger" when I see it.

Any change to the 972 price, now that a new version is about to be available?

We should see some of these babies at Hamilton, as a few of your TeamSeaholm boys regularly attend.

Good Luck in the Pylon World too!!
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

AJ,
Good looking stuff and in the tradition of Team Seaholm, top quality as well. These things should sell very well.
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

John,

Thanks, I'm going to need all the luck I can get in the Pylon world. Hope I didn't use it all up flying combat. [:)]

Your eyes do NOT deceive you. It is called the "Scavenger". We needed a way to differentiate between the 2 but still tie it to the AVENGER heritage. I think the number thing could have gotten a little out of control. Pricing and ship dates will be down the road. Now we're focused on creating the BEST damn designs we can. We'll worry about the sales later, we've got contests to get ready for. I think you'll have quite a few TEAMseaholm aces at your Havoc meet. [8D]

Lou,

Thanks. We have a lot of testing and tweeking to do yet, but I thought I'd throw this out there to make you Cobra drivers nervous... [:D]
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

AVENGER 1072 HDPE Core prototype preview:

Feathers

Post by Feathers »

I had the absolute privilege of being the first one to fly one of A.J.’s new sscAVENGER prototypes. I’ve been working on getting some prototype cores cut and shipped and had a wing ready to go when the proto fuses showed up at my door on Friday night. I knew I wasn’t going to sleep until I had an sscAVENGER ready to fly. We went out to eat, did some shopping, and then I hit he workshop. When I finished I posted some photos and gave up for the night- a little after midnight. I sent a quick note to A.J. asking if he’d like me to wait to fly this work of art as he designed it and should have that right. He wrote back he was more interested in hearing how it flew than waiting to be the first one to fly it. (Whew! It would have killed me to just look at this thing for a week or two).

When you stand back and look at what A.J. has drawn up it is a thing of beauty. With the lightning holes in the fuse it has a dragonfly look to it- tough and persistent- like it means business. Getting it all together and holding it you could just tell that not only was it going to fly- but that it was going to fly well-at least I hoped so. I finally decided it was time to get some sleep at about 12:30-1:00 AM.

When my buddy Steve and I arrived at the field it was actually quite busy for a 15 degree January day. There were four other pilots there standing in a light four inches of snow over glare ice. Wow it was slick. I hit four-wheel drive and punched through the snow bank so I could break trail over to my favorite spot on the flight line. If only I didn’t have all that really nice stuff in the back I could really do some spinning around- it was like taking your truck on the hockey rink…

It was a little dangerous walking around. One member had already fallen and broken the antenna off his radio. So we took it easy and got the flight box set up. Every time we set up the flight boxes I made up last year we marvel at how we ever got along without them. It’s so nice to be up and out of the snow while fueling and starting a plane. The sscAVENGER looked great on the stand. It got the attention of everyone that was there and they all came over to check it out and take in every detail.

We checked it over and I set some throws. Discovered that I had made the taped hinges on the ailerons a little tight. This was the first time I’d put the colored packing tape on top of the bidi hinges and I think I forgot about flexing them as I put the colored tape over the top. I also must have got a little tight with the bidi. Of course, a little tight in the comfort of the shop equals very tight in 15 degrees. We pulled the clevises off and cranked on them- good enough for a test flight. I set up the elevator for just a little throw- I learned that lesson on the AVENGER. We fueled it up and the little .15 fired off pretty quick. Steve grabbed the plane and we headed out to the pilot line.

Steve gave her a toss and the sscAVENGER headed out into the blue. I remember it was climbing a little and I gave it a few clicks of down. A click or two of aileron and it was time to turn it back toward us. First impression was positive. Started testing the limits of low rate- nice, it turned real quick and held speed very well. Pulled all the elevator I had and it did continuous circles very tight. Hmmmm, VERY nice. Turned it on it’s back- ailerons are still tight- could use more aileron. But she laid over quick enough- balance seems right on the money as it took just a slight touch of stick to hold it inverted. One thing I really like I a plane is to feel very connected to it. I’ve flown plenty of planes that don’t give me that feeling- as Steve would tell you most of the combat planes I’ve designed don’t come anywhere close to giving the pilot that feeling. But this thing was rock steady. This plane grooved.

From my perspective this plane is a good deal better than my current SSC design. The couple of flights I got in yesterday were enough for me to tell you that the sscAVENGER is the plane I want to fly next year. The new airfoil, the lightening efforts, the quality and fit of the parts- I think I may have just flown the best SSC plane ever designed- I really like it.

Nice work A.J.!
aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

Thanks Tim, and right back at you! It looks great and I'm pumped to hear a positive report. You're an animal, 15 degrees didn't slow you down in the least bit did it.

Great Job!

There's a new Snake Catcher in town... [:D]
caverjoe

Post by caverjoe »

so where do you get one of these planes and does it have an elevator?
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Caverjoe,

This plane will be available on the TEAMseaholm web site. Check it out at:

http://teamseaholm.com/

You can't get one quite yet however. A.J. has put together a team of pilots from all around the country to help test out his prototype designs, give feedback, and then tweak this baby into what I think will be the best SSC design ever. The plane I flew is the first and currently only sscAVENGER flying. Proto planes are on the way to the rest of the team as I write this. They'll be test flying, checking, sharing information- and only then will the final version be ready for sale. A.J. has said the sscAVENGER will not be on the market until it flys as well as the Open B version. From my few frigid flights- I think he's already there! You shouldn't have to wait long...

aseaholm

Post by aseaholm »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by caverjoe</i>
<br />... does it have an elevator?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

caverjoe,

Yes and no. It has a full flying stab so there isn't a fixed portion of the horizontal and a hinge line for a conventional elevator. But it does have a seperate control surface and servo for pitch control.

With more experience we've found the flying stab to very user friendly and very quick to swap out after a tangle with an opponent.

The TEAM now has their prototypes and should be putting them through their paces as soon as they can get them built. In Tim's case, he probably already has the 1072 built and flown. [:D]

When we're satisfied, I estimate 3-5 weeks, we'll begin taking PRE-ORDERS and go into full production for the 2005 season.

STAY TUNED!
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

As a member of the 2005 TEAMseaholm test pilots I've had the honor of flying some of the 2005 prototypes and I'm really excited about 2005. So far, we've kept stuff mostly underwraps but it's time to let everyone know about what is in store for 2005 coming from TEAMseaholm. I know what you're thinking, "The 972 takes 1st and 2nd at the Nats in direct competition with the best of the best- how can you improve a plane like that?" Well, somehow, A.J. did it as far as I'm concerned. Not only that but he's designed a little something he calls the sscAVENGER that I think could very well be the best SSC ship ever designed. Sure, there are still a few tweaks here and there as the TEAM works to make these planes perfect for the first production run. Believe it or not we need to get more weight in the sscAVENGER because it's coming out too light! And A.J's shaved several ounces of the 972 in the 1072 version. But they're close, really close, and I think you're going to wish you had one the first time one is behind you at your local combat meet.

Let me share some of the cold-weather test flying I've been doing...

Flight Report: January 25, 2005
Planes flown: sscAVENGER, AVENGER 1072

It hit 36 degrees here today. I left work ASAP and loaded up the truck. I had everything sitting by the front door ready to go.
One nice thing about flying in the winter is you don't have to fight to get a spot on the flightline. I was all by myself this time- sometimes I like that anyway...

I brought all three planes with the hopes of getting them all in the air. I only had about an hour before dark but I thought I could do it- and I almost did.

I pulled out the 1072 first. This plane has not been in the air- in fact this might be the first one to fly? In any case I fueled it up and checked it over. I set my dual rates on elevator to 40% for high and 30% for low. I didn't measure- I just wanted to fly and it was cold. It fired off pretty easily and I let it warm up.

Grabbed the plane and headed out to the flight line. I will leave more of the forward wing dowel to give myself a better grip in the future. I managed, but more dowel would provide a better grip. In any case I shuffled out through the snow and gave 'er a toss. No issues and there was no rush to get on the sticks. She climbed out like it was flight 100.
I only have a few flights on my 972 and I haven't been able to do a lot of adjusting because it's just too dang cold to get in a lot of flying. But my impression of the 1072 is that it turns better. By better I mean I can pull more elevator before hitting the snap. I'm not saying I didn't manage to snap it- I did. In fact with flight number two I moved my clevis farther up the horn because I couldn't set lower rates. I have to move down on my servo arms because it takes so little throw to turn these planes. But this plane was a joy to fly- I didn't want to land.

And when I did land this is what it looks like in the soft snow. You guys living without snow are really missing out...

Then I grabbed the sscAVENGER. I had made the changes that A.J. had suggested to the ailerons and readjusted the flying stab to neutral. And I don't care what you guys say, A.J. knows his stuff [:p]- the plane had no trim issues and when I landed the stab was still dead center. I did tach it this time to make all of you happy. It didn't make me happy though- 15,700- 16,000. I tried tightening the back plate and that's what got me up to 16,000. Maybe 16,000 is all a guy can expect in 35 degree weather- it's some thick air the prop is working. My second time out with the sscAVENGER and I still really like it. I wish I had video because even at 16,000 it was still fun. I had it right down on deck- never more than 10-15 feet high just cruising above the tall grass out beyond our mowed area like a hawk hunting for mice. Steady, solid, never getting out-of-shape on the turns. I tried some outside stuff too and I thought it handled it very well. Setting up the control horn on the hinge makes for more up than down and I think I'd like a little more down. That's something to try next time. It was great fun and again I didn't want to land. I thought about trying to catch the dang thing to keep it out of the snow....but I knew that was foolish. So...POOF, into the snow it went and I trudged over a few feet to pick it up.

I got the 1072 ready for flight number two and I noticed that the stab was a little down on this one- giving a little up trim. I did the opposite of what A.J. had suggested for the SSC and this worked also. Flight number two was even better than the first. Flight number two I seemed to have set the needle a little better and the plane was really moving. When I finally landed I had burned up most all of the tank. The plane rolled pretty well. Not as crisp as the 64" wings on my bats but pretty dang well. All in all I think A.J. has improved on his already great design.

I thought about fueling up the 972 but the sun was on its way down and decided to wait for another day. What a great January evening in Wisconsin. "Wish you were here!"

Flight Report: January 30
Temp: 30 degrees
Conditions: Overcast, icky enough that I was by myself again!
Planes flown: AVENGER 972, AVENGER 1072, and sscAVENGER.

Started out with another flight on the sscAVENGER. Set my radio on dual rate programming and put it in the air. My 8U doesn't have settings for up and down so I can add or take away throw while it's in the air. Works pretty well. I just keep adding throw until it wants to snap and then I pull it back until I can make three or four tight circles without snapping. High rate elevator throw came out at- 1/2" (I really measured).

I know I've raved about how well this thing flies already but dang, I really mean it! Both inside and outside stuff- I had it about 15 feet off the deck doing rolling circles and it was just rock solid. I've never had an SSC plane I'd be comfortable flying like this before.

With the drawing changes A.J. has made already I say this thing is ready to go. It is an awesome SSC machine. I think I put five flights on it this afternoon and I was (gasp) having fun with it!

Renee stopped down with Pilsner (Our combat dog!). She took photos for me while she was there.

Then it was time to pull out the 1072. I carefully set my up elevator using the same procedure and came out at 5/8" up. I know I've said it before but the flying stab is so effective and a little too much throw ends up being a very bad thing. I really think the directions need to stress just how important it is to set low throws and work up slowly. Once I had my rate set I started really cranking on this plane. Three or four flights in a row I banked and yanked, inside & outside stuff and I think I'm in love (in a plane kinda way) again. It is amazing how far across this field this baby will hold when you tip it on its side- I worked for about 50 imaginary cuts (and I got 'em all so look out in 2005!).

It was around this time my hands got cold. Winter flying secret:

I then set up the 972 to do some back-to-back comparisons. I don't know if there's something amiss with my 972 but when I really start cranking on it it can go into a real awful snap. The kind that would do a new pilot in because if you fight it it's going to go all the way to the ground. The only way out is to center the controls and pull out slowly. I adjusted the elevator throw down to something around 3/8" to a little less than a 1/2". When you get the throw down it still turns on a dime and I have a hard time saying today that it turns any less than the 1072. But the 1072 is much less sensitive to the snap- and when it does snap it is much milder than the 972. Again, these are just two planes- don't know if this is representative of all of them or not. But I can only compare the two I have. I rechecked the balance on my 972 when I got home and it's at 2 and 1/8" from the leading edge. Don't get me wrong here- it's an awesome machine but if you really take it to the limits you can get into trouble. I prefer the 1072. Somehow A.J. has improved on the 972- amazing.

Pilsner loved the plane too. When I landed she loved to run out and help me fetch it. At least she doesn't try to pick it up. She just likes the excuse to run over there and back again.

I asked her what she thought of the 1072 and the sscAVENGER. She really knows her stuff because she's spent a lot of time at the field and the "high five" means these are two winners in her book. Image

I don't think I'll have any more flight reporting to do. I flew for almost four solid hours and kept recharging planes over and over again. These two planes are awesome and I would take the two that I have to any meet the way they flew today. I hope you enjoy them as much as I am. A.J.- you should feel really good about what you've created here. Simply AWESOME.

As far as I'm concerned it's time to start making planes.
S3HD

Post by S3HD »

Excellent report and pix! Sure miss Wisconsin. (I grew up there, didn't leave 'til I joined the Navy.)
What year is your Tacoma pickup?
How does the sScavenger's pitch sensitivity change as the fuel burns?
Have you done any testing with a streamer tied on?
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

As another TEAMseaholm member, and pilot of one of the prototypes, I can tell you the pitch sensitivity is relatively unchanged during the flight. The tank on the new sscAVENGER is mounted further back than that of previous AVENGER designs, therefore, little or no trim changes are needed from full to empty.

These are a few pics of another prototype sscAVENGER in Oklahoma:

Right side.

Front.

Left side.

Field Photo:

I truly believe this SSC design sets a new standard as an easy to build, easy to fly, extremely durable and highly competitive plane that will make many winner's circles in 2005. Production kits should be available in the next month or so. Be sure to visit http://www.teamseaholm.com for more info regarding the sscAVENGER and also the updated AVENGER 1072.

Eric Wenger
TEAMseaholm
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

The quality of the parts in these kits, the very simple assembly method for the fuse, and the ease of parts replacment for sacrificial/often damaged parts such as the tail feathers has to be seen to be believed. The way the parts are cut out for the builder, they are very accurate and basically fall together. The structure is elegant and strong. A great deal of thought has been given to absorbing energy in impacts so as to not only reduce or eliminate damage, but also to allow the plane to keep flying the rest of the heat- this is especially noticeable in the wing retention system. And most importantly to folks like Brian and I, it is a very ATTRACTIVE looking plane! Overall an extremely thoughtful design. According to the early flight reports, the planes fly better than previous versions, a very high standard indeed! We're looking forward to our first flights soon!
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Excellent report and pix! Sure miss Wisconsin. (I grew up there, didn't leave 'til I joined the Navy.)
What year is your Tacoma pickup?
How does the sScavenger's pitch sensitivity change as the fuel burns?
Have you done any testing with a streamer tied on?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I had two Tacoma's (or smaller pickups- don't think they called 'em Tacoma's then). Liked them both a lot. Traded in the '86 because we needed a back seat for two car seats. Then, as they grew out of car seats the back of the '92 Tacoma became a little tight- hence the 2001 Tundra.

I've run the tank pretty much dry having so much fun with the plane- didn't notice any changes (I was having just as much fun in the seconds before it went dry as I was in the beginning).

I did one streamer flight the first day I had it at the field. Again, didn't notice anything negative while pulling the streamer- and they're a pain if the snow is wet so I generally don't bother putting one on.

Return to “My plane is better than yours because...”