I need help!!!!!

So you got a hot plane, eh? Tell us why you think you're gonna be Top Gun this year!

Moderator: hbartel

Mysterious Pilot

I need help!!!!!

Post by Mysterious Pilot »

Hey guys!!!!! Well, I'll be blunt. Im 15 years of age and currently own a P-51 Mustang, a taildragger. Well, according to flight experts, My R/C has a max speed of 210 MPH, and for starters, I've never flown before. So, what I'm asking you guys is that if you have any information or tips on what to do or not to do when flying, I would appreciate any and all advice. I know about Top Gun, and just to give you guys a heads up, you'll probbly have some copetition in the near future; as soon as I get my "wings" and a hollllllllle load of training. Again thanks for any and all advice.
gunfighter

Post by gunfighter »

Jake - the best advice I could gibe you is get a trainer and learn to fly on it. The mustang is a fun plane to fly, if you are an EXPERIENCED pilot. It is NOT a trainer!
Go to a local club or find someone near you to teach you to fly. If you try to learn by yourself, expecially on a plane THAT fast (are you sure you don't mean 210 KPH?) you better take a couple of extra trash bags to the field with you!
I have been a R/C flight instructor for years and the biggest mistake I see is people trying to teach theirselves to fly with a warbird!
Good luck and welcome to the site!
lightning

Post by lightning »

Jake, I'm with Gunfighter. Save your P51 (intact) until you have developed the instinctive reactions you need to fly that plane.
Get a trainer, find an instructor and LEARN to fly. You can't just start up that beast, horse it into the air and expect it to last longer than 10 seconds.
What do I know? I've been a MAAC (Oshawa) and now Radio Control Club of Detroit Instructor (AMA) for 25 years. I've taught folks to fly with a trainer while they've been building their "masterpeace", putting thousands of hours into a large Scale bird.
They have still crashed 'em on the first flight because they thought they could fly, all due to the fact they had mastered basic flying skills with a forgiving airplane and were too proud to ask for help on the first flight of their "prized possession".
One step at a time. But it might not take long. I "soloed" a 13 year old kid last June, by August he was flying combat with us, this year he'll probably be kicking our butts!
Good luck to you, but please DO IT RIGHT!
lightning

Post by lightning »

Oh and Jake, what P-51 have you got that will do 210Mph??!! That's a handful even for a very experienced pilot. I suspect 210Kmh is more like it, but that's still plenty fast (125mph).
Not sure of the MAAC rules, but the AMA in the US set an upper speed limit of 200mph for models, and that includes the jets.

Return to “My plane is better than yours because...”