Seattle Surprise Attack

The batteries are dead, the ESC's are smokin', combat's over and I ain't jokin'. Let us know how the smack-down went!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Seattle Surprise Attack

Post by Ed Kettler »

I got a chance to hook up with Chris Strasbourg and some of the Seattle area team on Monday afternoon. Chris, his son Matthew, Chuck and Steve got together for some streamer chasing. I missed a big meet on Sunday afternoon that I hope will be posted; I think Chris said they had 9 pilots up.

Chris loaned me a a local copy of an EPP warbird that had a brushless outrunner on a 2-cell ~800 mah pack. This had a flat bottom airfoil, and flew pretty well, maybe a shade slower than my Me-109. This could be due to the lack of covering and some drag from the unsnaded EPP. Pretty agile, and honest. Matthew is about 12 (didn't ask, so I'm guessing), and he is a pretty good pilot. He was flying a beat-up version of the same plane, and managed to make a very difficult target despite control issues.

Chuck flew a P-47 that had a hybrid airfoil. The fuselage was fanfold, but the wing was folded fanfold so it had a true airfoil. With a 2-cell it was very competitive, with a 3-cell it was a very tough target and could easily outperform my plane. Steve brought out a new Spitfire that was fanfold with the color scheme printed on paper and glued to the sides. It looked pretty good, and with some tuning could be competitive. I think Chuck had one as well. They look great in the air. Maybe the hybrid wing can help these planes perform on the same level as the true airfoil winged planes.

Matthew and Chuck made me work really hard for the streamers. The soccer field had trees on two sides, so ducking down below the tree line made the planes almost disappear. Only a couple of cuts were made, and both were related to a midairs. The EPP planes seemed to be fairly robust, and with some sanding and taping that should improve their strength even more. I think the EPP had 'dried out' as it didn't have the sponginess I'm used to.

I'd like to thank Chris, Matthew and Chris's wife Kathy for hosting me for drinks and dinner. I had a great time and the hospitality was wonderful! I wish the Seattle crew a lot of luck on growing combat in NW Washington area. They are off to a great start and I expect to see a lot of activity from this group! I understand that 6 Lee Liddle planes are headed their way!

Ed
catboater

Post by catboater »

Thanks for the kind words Ed! We enjoyed ourselves as well.
I would post the pictures and report of Sundays meet except, as you thought might be the case, I've been locked out of the gallery and cannot get any pictures to post. I also have some pictures from your visit.
OBTW - Matt is 9 years old, soon to be 10.

Watch your 6. I'm back there!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Here are some pictures Chris sent of the event:
Matt gives Ed a little lesson on flying close to the trees

Her's the gang ready for combat. The red and yellow planes are locally made EPP electrics, the rest are fan fold planes.

Here are some action shots. Flying in and out of the shadows, and up against the tree line made it a very challenging flying site.

These pictures bring back some fond memories of a great afternoon with some new friends!

Thanks Chris and Matt!

Ed

Return to “Electric Smack-Down Debriefs”