R.I.P 2610

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I will be finishing up a 2548 SBD Dauntless this week as a test bed for allowing attack planes to be flown in 2548. It will be flown off against scale fighters, possibly along with a Helldiver, to make sure we do not have a major competitive advantage for just a few planes.

If that works out then maybe next year's rules can allow more aircraft types, which may in turn eliminate the need for the list.

Good points!

Ed
adamdb

Post by adamdb »

I personally prefer 2548 over 2610, even at Denver altitude. I love the scale-like flight of the 2548s and the fact that you have to think about managing your energy, just like the pilots had to in the real WWII planes. 2610, to me, is just Open B planes with camoflauge paint. When I want speed, I'll fly Open B. Scale planes zipping around at Open B speeds never looked right to me. I have never had any issue launching my coro Fairey Fulmar, although I still have yet to attempt a downwind launch in more than a gentle breeze.

Adam
montague

Post by montague »

Personally, after flying 2548 at Nats, I prefer 2610. 2548 just didn't do it for me.

When the airframes improve (and they will), then we'll see the furball tighten up, even with the limited power.
THend

Post by THend »

Well, I guess 2610 would work fine with a few tweaks then. Like, allowing the frontline birds to scale up some, and maybe eliminating the mousse can mufflers.

I will discuss this at the upcoming Scale and SSC contest at Palomar next weekend. Unfortunately, it seems we have not flown that much Scale due to the way we are running contests this year. But, after this event, I feel we will have some consensus on some proposals. We will see. So far, everyone likes the way we are flying Scale, but then I don't think we ever had an issue with it anyway. But again, we haven't flown too much of it either. Might need to squeeze some events in at Fallbrook.