What scale class will be at NATS 2006

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Bender

What scale class will be at NATS 2006

Post by Bender »

What scale class will be at NATS after 2548 became official?
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Bender,
That is an easy one. The Nats will have 2610 as the scale event in 2006. 2105 and 2610 are AMA rule book events. The Nats only run AMA rule book events.

It is possible that 2610 could be scrapped in the 2007 rule book but an AMA rule book change would have to be submitted to both eliminate the 2610 class and replace it with 2548 by September 30th of this year.

I don't see this happening and believe that we will have 2610 at the 2006, 2007, 2008 Nats for sure before there is enough testing of the 2548 concept for it to dislodge 2610 from the AMA rule book, if it ever does.

A bigger question is how we can get more folks flying scale, that is a bigger problem than settling the rules debates.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lou Melancon</i>
<br />Bender,
That is an easy one. The Nats will have 2610 as the scale event in 2006. 2105 and 2610 are AMA rule book events. The Nats only run AMA rule book events.

A bigger question is how we can get more folks flying scale, that is a bigger problem than settling the rules debates.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Lou, didn't the NATS run SSC this year?

I personally think that more people will always fly open because it's easier. We tried last year to build a 2610 mustang. We built the wing, cut the fuselage profile, and realized sanding them to shape and painting, etc, would be alot of work. Plus .25 size always has more damage than .15s. So we gave the 1/2+10% mustang to a friend at the field.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Yes Alex, both SSC and 2548 were run at the Nats this year. We had four days this year which is one more than we have had in the past.

The point I meant to make and did not do well is that the NATs has rule book events first and only reports on them. SIG events can be run time permitting, but only after the rule book events are run.

I agree that Scale is much more work. At least it is for me. I still really like it and will try to have something ready for the Tournament of Champions in Nashville later this year.
Bender

Post by Bender »

Interesting situation, isn’t?
Possible scale 2610 will be official in 2006, 2007, 2008, but we should be ready to face a fact: Very soon it might be exist on paper only. We even can help him to disappear.

Here is individual opinion about two scale classes official 2610 and provisional 2548. Attempt to take neutral view on situation.

First of all it is useful to clarify what we a going to fly in WWII scale RC-air combat: Theoretically two major concepts are possible:
<font color="brown">A</font id="brown">) Attempt to recreate WWII scenes in details as much as possible.
<font color="brown">B</font id="brown">) Attempt to create technical sport (WWII era related) with equal opportunity for as much pilots as possible.

Dependant on major concept - model requirement will be:
For <font color="brown">A</font id="brown"> main criteria is: participation in action during WWII.
For <font color="brown">B</font id="brown"> main criteria is: equal flying parameters and connection with WWII era.

Certain scale for example scale 1/12 (actually any certain scale) is good for <font color="brown">A</font id="brown">, but it has serious disadvantage - dependent on prototype models have different flying parameters (it is absolutely not good for sport).
As far as majority of pilots have recognized this disadvantage in 2610 this class start disappearing as sport class. (It is perfect as show, but not as sport).

Scale 2548 concept is: equal parameters for any model. It is elegant solution of a problem. (Certain wingspan certain maximum power certain minimum weight).
This concept works perfect for <font color="brown">B</font id="brown">, but artificially created approved aircraft list generate so many problem and individuals conflicts. (I am not so sure if conflicts help new class to grow).

RCCA #635 www.BenderPlane.com
boiler

Post by boiler »

Lou, I believe the TOC has been canceled.[:(]