HELP!!!

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

JGrizzle

HELP!!!

Post by JGrizzle »

BP21, BP18AMP ESC, GMS R6N Receiver, HS55 servos, 2 cell 840TP
Receiver and trans both on channel 31. I hook up the battery and servos center. No control surface movement and the motor will not run. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly. What should I try or what is wrong?

Thanks in advance
THend

Post by THend »

Make sure you are using the right "shift" on the RX and the TX. Hitec and Futaba are Negative shift, and Airtronics and JR are positive shift. So, everything might look right, but nothing will work right! If they center, that sounds to me that the carrier frequency is on the mark, but the signal shift is not being detected.
slam

Post by slam »

try a different reciever.

i grab a spare from my combat planes, even if it's still in a combat plane, make up all the connections, and check. you could also do the reverse and hook up seperate servos (ones just lying around) and a spare nicad batt to the reciever in question. if the servos work you can rule out the receiver.

when you plug in the batt. you should hear a tone from the speed controller. when it gets proper signals it gives a longer ring tone.

sounds like the speed controller might be on the fritz.

slam
RH

Post by RH »

The ESC makes another tone when the motor speed control is activated. It's a safety feature so you don't get prop bit if you throttle isn't pulled clear back when you plug the battery pak in. You have to pull the stick to the off position for a couple of seconds for it to arm. If your throttle control is reversed it won't arm unless you go full open then you know to reverse the throttle. Hope that made sense...

rh
JGrizzle

Post by JGrizzle »

Thanks for your input guys. I have another plane with the same set up and it does fine and two others with similar set ups. The ESC does not tone but the servos center. I hooked up new servo just to make sure. If the servos center it means they are getting power, right?
Why would they not work if the receiver was getting power even if the ESC was bad? I am new to electrics but have six now and not had any problems before. Slam, I saw your Zero at Dixie and liked it. This set up is also in an A6M and looks great. I have three other planes, not combat, with AXI 2208-34 motors in them. One kick A$$ motor. Expensive, but KICK A$$. I will keep screwing around it and let you guys know what I find out. I will just keep switching out parts until I get it. Just looking for the quick fix.
Thanks
JGrizzle

Post by JGrizzle »

The crystal. I first replaced the ESC, no help. Then I replaced the receiver using the same crystal, no help. I thought for a minute and said the crystal was the only thing I had not replaced. Replaced it and every thing works fine. Live and learn. Thanks for the input guys. I am sure I will have other questions later.

Return to “All About Electrics”