2006 NATS

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

2006 NATS

Post by boiler »

Rick Fraley an myself will be traveling to Muncie this Saturday to see if we can get 4 days for next years NATS. I was dissapointed last year in that we were not included on the sign out front and in some other places as well. When I know anything else for sure, I will let you know.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Bob and Rick,

Thanks for taking the lead on getting us off to a great start for the 2006 NATS. Rick, again, a big thank you for the great job you've done at the NATS and the Marathon Before Muncie the last couple of years.

Warmest regards,
Ed
boiler

Post by boiler »

We get 4 days for the 2006 NATS.[:)] July 12-15th which is Wednesday through Satarday.(fooled the cencer) We put in a request for great weather while we were at the planning meeting. You can put in a request for vacation time now. AMA raised entry fees by $10 and the number of awards for each event will be determined by the number signed up before the late fee is charged. The late fee has been increased as well. Anyone that has gone to the NATS in the last three years should receive an application for the NATS at the first of the year.

The hotels are

1 Best Western**
2 Budget Inn USA
3 Fairfield Inn
4 Days Inn
5 Hill Top Motel
6 Lees Inn
7 Pittenger Student Center Hotel
8 Robert Hotel**
9 Best Value Inn**
10 Signature Inn**
11 Super 8 Motel
12 Super 8 Motel (there are two)
13 Holiday Inn

If you have stayed at any of these before and would like to stay there at the 2006 Nats, let me know soon and I will have the AMA staff contact the hotels so they can block off groups of rooms for RCCA pilots.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Bob,
That is terrific news! Another four day Nats is going to be great.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Any idea what classes will be on what days, or will that be decided later on?
boiler

Post by boiler »

Rick thought we would follow the schedule used this year. Nothing finalized yet.

Day 1 Open b & 2610
Day 2 2610 & open b & Scale judging for 2548
Day 3 ssc & 2548
Day 4 2548 & ssc
Try to work in Limited B in days 3 & 4 if we don't have any weather delays
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Nats 2006 is quite a ways off, and I can't commit to attending yet, but I would love to offer an alternative flying schedule again this year. Since there are several of us that fly only Open B/SSC, it would be great to pair these events for two days and to pair 2610/2548 for the remaining two days. This way, the "open" and "scale" only pilots only need to consider 2 days of vacation instead of 4. For those flying all classes, well, it shouldn't make any difference. Revised schedule would look like:

Day 1 (Wed) Open b & ssc
Day 2 (Thur) ssc & open b
Day 3 (Fri) scale & 2548
Day 4 (Sat) 2548 & scale

Just a thought.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Limited B is gaining popularity in the Midwest and should get a more definate spot. After open B is done would be ideal so guys can switch mufflers and props after open B is done.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Eric and Mike, both are good ideas. None of us have a crystal ball about what will happen with 2610 and limited b. One may decline and one may become popular. The good thing is we do have a little time to do some observing and thinking. The schedule used last year was designed to get rule book events finished first in case of bad weather. How long that would take is unknown. If 2610 has fewer competetors than last year. We might be able to finish it in the first day with one heat rounds. If limited b doesn't take off, it might be finished in one day with one heat rounds. Gee I wish I could get one of those crystal balls. Mabe we could get early commiitments of pilots that would fly different events. If we did, would they follow up on their commitment or just blow smoke in favor of their favorite class. Personally as most of you know, I will fly anything that will tow a streamer.

I do think the philosphy of having rule book events first is sound since this is the AMA NATS.
Pat_Willcox

Post by Pat_Willcox »

I'll put out a few more thoughts for the coming 2006 Nats.

1. I prefer to do an event in total on one day so that gear is no longer needed and it makes for easier preparation for the next day. Do awards and recognition at end of flying.
2. I like to see a full day with 6 rounds min and prefer 8 rounds, wx and time permitting. First match at 9 am, 30+ minute lunch break, finish by 4 pm.
3. As far as AMA being concerned that official vrs. Unofficial events having priority that is not really an issue. This is strictly up to the CD.
4. Flexibility on scheduling Limited B will make it happen. Probably after 2610 would be a less busy time.
5. My desires and goals for Nats are less on the win-win but more on the enjoy the week in association with a great bunch of folks. With the control line World Championships 17-23 July in Spain, I will be limited on Nats schedule.

Another thought on possible flying schedule:
Day 1-SSC
Day 2-Open B
Day 3-2610-with limited B-four round
Day 4-2548-

This kind of a schedule would make it easier on the CD where the whole week is not a marathon. The limited B would be more of a fun type low-key affair. With 2548 (neat war birds at a reasonable speed) on Sa* * * *ay, that will make spectator appeal much greater and THAT makes AMA folks happy to give the locals something neat to see on the weekend.

Muncie wx usually will have rain at sometime during the week but the events always get flown so not to worry. Although it does not get dark until late during that time of year, it makes for better times to enjoy after hours social times if competition is finished NLT 5 pm IMO. Pizza and night flying needs to be on agenda.<G>

Thanks again to Rick, Bob and all involved in leading the way for this summer's Nats.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Pat, thanks for the thoughts. The AMA made a specific request that we do start early. They would like us to start at 8am so we could be finished by 5pm. If we run to 7 or so because of weather delays that's ok with them. I've flown at meets where you flew one class all day and another class the next day. Ive flown the other way as well. Although I prefer the one class all day method, a lot of pilots prefer the other which gives them a chance to repair half way through and hang out with friends before the event is over. I believe that Rick is going to be the CD and he liked the way it was done last year.
Pat_Willcox

Post by Pat_Willcox »

I am happy any way it shakes out.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Pat as always a true Southern Gentleman and fierce combat pilot. I'm with you on that comment. I know I will have fun no matter what is finally decided, but it is good to look at possibilities.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Definately need to get night combaton the schedule too! Best done after SSC is done so you don't have to worry about saving gear!
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

Night combat!
I beat you guys with my electric! Next bungie launched fence post with half span wings!! You have to move SSC up to the first day. So I can kick Hats and Feathers butt every night.
Ron

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”