Look what the Czechs are up to...

Moderator: hbartel

rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

That will leave a mark. Ouch.
Bender

Post by Bender »

Lou, it is nice to see your heroic afford for saving 2610! (Especially after your 2005 declaration: “No Glow Plugâ€
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Bender,
I didn't start this thread to convince anyone of anything. I started it because I love WWII fighters and the was excited to see that the Boeing might one day soon becoame an available.

I am very impressed with your planes. The quality is excellent and they are good fliers.

There is no hidden agenda in this post regarding classes of scale combat. If there is a scale event that any of my planes qualify for and I can make it I will fly them in combat. If not I plan to enjoy flying them and watching them fly cause they are such nice looking models.

I think that taking scale planes out and flying them in front of others will do more for growing interest in Scale Combat than any amount of discussion will ever do.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think that taking scale planes out and flying them in front of others will do more for growing interest in Scale Combat than any amount of discussion will ever do.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That`s the truth!!!! And, it goes for all forms of combat. More good is done to promote SSC by flying 2-4 up if front of the locals, than anything done on this web site. That`s what I`ll be doing tomorrow.

Good luck with your planes and plans Lou.
Bender

Post by Bender »

Lou, I am just sorry about scale 2610 future. Contest organizers have hard time choosing: what events to run in 2006?
As you can see I decide to participate in the topic only to show more scale 2610 models available on market. (Not in the future, they are available right now).

We are looking for more streamers Image

Airview Movie snapshots: http://amocs.com/gallery/contests/2005_ ... snapshots/
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Bender,
I too am worried about the future of Scale combat but participation is already very low. It really worried me till I saw things happening in other parts of the hobby:
<ul><li>The interest being expressed by folks in the Tower Hobbies P51 and Corsair, 1/12th scale fighters </li>
<li>The number of folks building Mark Rittenger and Jim Ryan balsa WWII fighters for electric </li>
<li>The interest in GWS, Alpha, and Flying Styro WWII fighters </li></ul>
There is a lot of interest in Scale WWII fighters but the interest in flying them in combat has dwindled to a very low level.

I am leaning towards holding 2610 at Dixie next year because there are at least a couple of sources for kits still out there.

On my planes, to simplify the operation of the Norvels, I am going to use standard mufflers and clunk tanks. The Norvel on a mousse can turns such high rpms that I can't get them to run reliably unless I use a bubbleless tank and cold glow plugs. I want to cut the hassle factor down and just go fly. They are plenty fast enough for me (an OGC as RDC767 rightly pointed out) to fly with normal stock engines.

Incidentally if other folks want some scale planes here is a site they might want to check out: www.Steinmodel.cz

Best regards to all.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

<font size="4"><font face="Arial">Thank you to Petr Bachan for providing the following photos of the Boeing XF8B. Dr. Bachan is also checking (little pun there) on availability of the plane and its cost.</font id="Arial"></font id="size4">

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>Image</center>
topspeed

Post by topspeed »

The rudder would eazily be made to function too.

About the ME 209H V-1 did it ever really fly the original ?
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

TopSpeed,
From what I have been able to reserarch, yes the ME209H V1 did fly. This weekend I got the stab installed, the wing hold downs in and the canopy inside painted. Should be able to go to paint in about a week.
NAES

Post by NAES »

I'll always love the idea of flying full blown 2610.

Nice planes Lou.

I'm guessing if the contest schedule got pined down to 2 or 3 large events participation might just go up. Sort of a "leave it all out there" type of event.

Sorry, going OT

Just a thought, NAES
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

I'm making progress on the 1/12th ME209. Here is a shot of the canopy and fuselage:

<center>Image</center>

The canopy once trimmed was a slight misfit to the molded lip of the fuselage. In this photo you can see red auto glazing putty applied to fill the gap. The process is to first mask off the area, apply and smooth putty then remove the tape. Once dry it will be re-masked and sanded out flush.

Here's a side view:

<center>Image</center>

Here is the balsa stab, covered with clear monokote mounted to the vertical fin and filleted with glazing putty.

topspeed

Post by topspeed »

That is correct Lou...I found info here:

http://users.belgacom.net/aircraft1/avion1/288.html
Bender

Post by Bender »

Lou, how left and right wing should be connected each other?
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Bender,
On the plane shown above, the Hyzick ME209, the wing is one piece. It simply bolts to the fuselage with a dowel to key it in the front.

On the Boeing the wing halves are butt glued together then fiberglass cloth is applied with epoxy over the joint to strengthen it.
Bender

Post by Bender »

Lou, do I understand correctly: Boeing wings have no spar at all?

I am asking because we are looking for elegant wing half connection. It will be very useful for transportation. At least fist shipping before final assembling can avoid high shipping cost for oversize packages (48 and more inch long).

I have tried two types wing folding for transportation. But booth types are adding two extra ounces to model weight.
http://amocs.com/projects/fold_wing/index.htm
http://benderplane.com/project/il10/VS2 ... 0609AF.htm
So this problem not solved yet.
Fiberglas cloth with epoxy might be lighter than 2 oz. What is total weight for finished wing?

Get ready for fun! Bender RCCA#635