Where did the Wild Turkey go?

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

AirWaveUS

Where did the Wild Turkey go?

Post by AirWaveUS »

I demand an answer!!!

Please
LARRY

Post by LARRY »

Airwave....The Blue Propers seem to be jealous that Frank is having such a great turnout for his event that some just cant stand it, so they think they are getting the last word in with a created plant named HERO and its going to come back and bite them....Wait and see.
Baron Von RickTarleton

Post by Baron Von RickTarleton »

It would appear that there is a significant amount of bias within this organization. Before you go after me Lou, you need to sit back and hear me out. I have been following the threads here since I first became interested in Combat back in February. I attended the Georgia 3 day Combat event we held here at GMA earlier this year. I drew some personal conclusions about the classes based on what I saw. I also attended the last competition in Jacksonville. My observations had helped me to make a personal choice as to what class I feel I would have the most fun with.

But I have seen quite a bit of nay saying within this organization concerning the classes. While there is good discussion about new classes, proposed changes to classes, and general fun and jesting within the classes, it seems that there is an underlying war between them.

Part of my decision on Open B was made based on the "smack" talk within the threads. It is refreshing, provoking and fun. I never took it personal when Smack Daddy refered to me as Baron Von Dirtnappin, and reveled in the chance to slam him for dirt nappin one sunny day.

Let's face it. Few of us, if any have ever been in an actual dogfight in a combat aircraft. We live our dreams on computer simulations, and in the air with RC and control line aircraft. I can tell you from personal experience, having served some time onboard the USS Nimitz, that in the real world there IS healthy tension between the pilots, both within and across squadron lines. The F-14 jocks think they are the greatest pilots in the world, and the FA-18 pilots think THEY are the greatests. Likewise, Marine Pilots think they have an edge over their Navy counterparts. There was plenty of ribbing between the pilots that I encounted in the smoking area during our deployment. But when you get down to it, they all put their flight suits on the same way, one leg at a time.

But what I have seen here the past couple of days has given me pause. I have witnessed one member get reprimanded for what appeared to be harmless ribbing of another pilot, while a truly offensive post went unnoticed. And an otherwise highly successful post promoting Open B competion was completely locked down. What kind of signal is the administration here trying to send to those of us who are considering combat? Regardless of the intention of the President or Webmaster of this organization, the APPEARANCE of these actions would lead the casual observer to conclude that Open B is the bastard child of RC Combat.
THend

Post by THend »

[:D]Well, I did get a chuckle over the thread. I had not read it until the last day or so, when somehow I got (accidentally) referenced to it on the Soap. So I thought, what is all the hullaballoo.

1. AREA-52 took on some seriously funny, our perception!, smack talk back when Willcox was living on the West Coast. I actually got a phone call and email from then Pres. Lou to make sure we were "on board" with what we were saying.

What I took away from the experience was that not everyone can "see" that humor. I do see that humor, be it a curse to me as I never do well after talking smack, but many others may not. So, I don't generally read any of the Upcoming Events or Debriefs from contests I did not attend. I don't know these folks, and they CERTAINLY do not know me. If I do read their words, I keep that in mind.

2. The whole "Blue Proppers" stuff is funny as it gets to me. In fifteen years, I will most certainly be a "Blue Propper" and I feel we need T-shirts to go with it. The sad thing is I didn't think of it.[:o)] We need to laugh at ourselves a bit more, and well, I think it is funny, the whole AARP and Blue Propper thing.[:p] Still chuckling. And, you know what, I am all for a class to cover them too.

3. Censorship, well, that is a tough one. If the guy getting hammered does not complain, and especially if he counter attacks, I say let it be. Now, again, this is a tough area. We do have folks visiting our site, and they may draw the wrong impression. Also, we are not at work, so we don't have to follow all the anti-harassment etc. laws??

4. Personal agenda. We don't have that here do we?[8D] Kill them with Kindness.

5. Open B. You know, when anyone promotes a class, some other class suffers to some degree. I was shocked when I heard that the whole South East had gone soft and stopped flying Open B. SSC is fun, but is there not room for both?

Anyway, tie on some streamers, fire those birds up, and have some SAFE, FUN, COMBAT! Sure wish I was there! BTW, where is GMA? I had kinda passed on Georgia as a future home because all the combat pilots want to fly slow, and slower. Maybe that is not reality.

later
th[:o)]
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Terry, I think most of the guys share your sentiments.

The Wild Turkey thread in question, which I notice has been given the kiss of death and a private burial had almost as many posts and many more reads than all of the MEMBERS ONLY, RULES DISCUSSIAN SECTION combined. The same was true of the threads that were given the kiss of death after the big purge back in July.

Granted some of the language in some of those posts probably should have been red lined, but this is supposed to be a combat forum, and some of the censors need to lighten up a little. Trying to put all of the membership into a nice little politically correct box is futile and will only result in a smaller membership. I personally see more danger to the org. from strict censorship as from boorish posts.[:(!]

Millions of people pay big bucks to attend boxing and wrestling matches, not to see a couple of guys bobbing, weaving and feigning in mock combat, but to see some blood spilled, some heads whupped up on, some knock downs and drag outs. I'll let others try to explain the psychology of this, but I notice no one leaves in the middle of the matches when the action gets a little rough and tumble. I just look at the reality of it.[B)]
Dreaded Skull

Post by Dreaded Skull »

A-men Cajun!!!!!!

The Wild Turkey Rumble thread did add a lot of lively action to the forum. Too Bad it had to be un fairly censored.

Nobody has actually contacted any of the so called "violators" nor been specific as to what was offensive.

Example: The Blue Prop HERO (a non participating troll) has posted on the thread with the intention of aggravating the contest participants.

HERO, an obvious pro-ssc advocate can post in poor taste. Hero has calculated a desired response in order to escalate the thread into mud slinging. This was HERO's method for promoting an alternate contest and favored class. He got his intended response. thread locked!!! I'm not so sure HERO isn't our webmaster.[:X]

The WTR thread was locked down because it was successful![:(!][:(!]

I guess some people think a monkey with giant glasses is quite funny!

What do you think???
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Guys, the party is over. Go fly your contest, have fun, put this behind you. Everybody got censored and censured when we locked the topic. There is a separate thread now to promote your contest.

Ed Kettler
RCCA President

Thread locked.