1/2A Are we sure this is what we want?

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

Pat_Willcox

Post by Pat_Willcox »

Me Too. combatrocks1234 would be great for me. Otherwise I need a another read on my asigned P/W.

Thx
THend

Post by THend »

I too have a notepad document on my desktop that I cut and paste from.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

I could have sworn i posted this the other day but i must be having computer problems, cause i dont see it now... Anyway

Im attempting to build a 1/2A electric that will comply with the limited and or proposed open rules. The posted rules are a bit confusing to me on electrics. The plane must be under 2 pounds with battery in place, gas or electric? What prop has to be used? open class obviously there are no rpm limits but do the electrics have an amp rating limit or anything?

Just want to make sure what im building wont be thrown out at the first event...
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

the posted rules are confusing only to northeastern buckeyes. the 2 pound limit is for Open 1/2A. Limited 1/2A proposed rules are posted in the provisional forum with a proposed min wt of 18 ounces. this proposal is of course being challenged as folks are coming in with lighter weight planes but we are in the development stage and the weight is by no means agreed upon. the proposed rules (i'm summarizing in case you, like several others, cannot get into the provisional forum) allow for electrics but they must swing the spec prop at or below the spec rpm and meet the same min weight. (no rpm or prop restrtictions in Open 1/2A). it has been brought up that the min weight is a "dry" weight and since slimers must carry fuel (in this class about 1 1/2 ounces at a weight approx of 1 oz per fl. oz.) that perhaps electrics should have the min wt bumped up to account for this (1/2 of the total fuel load, or the "average" load of .75 ounce in the case of this class). pls post any comments to the rules proposals in the provisional rules forum, i summarize them here just for your ref. since you are building. pls note also that there are proposed wing planform restrictions for Limited 1/2A (similar to Limited B)
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Thanks Scott,

Since i am not yet a member of RCA I guess im having trouble finding the info in these other forums. That should change after the first of the year i suppose... I guess as long as i stay under 2 pounds and fly open i should be ok in the direction im headed.

anyone have any prop recomendations for a rimfire outrunner setup? running a 10X3.75 on the 3d planes but i would guess for competition you would want something smaller and faster. The big prop is really great for keeping speeds down and thrust up.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Well the proposed rules for limited 1/2A are specing a prop as a requirement. Right now the props suggested are APC 5.7x3 or 6x2, Grish “Tempestâ€
Thaman

Post by Thaman »

nice fuse Drew where did you get it or was it made?
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

There is a guy in our club that makes these. He gave me 2 of them, they are designed aroung the Mega 16/15/3. It is actually for speed 400 pylon racing. With the right wing/prop/batteries over 100 MPH.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

sorry Captain, i did not know you weren't a member (yet) i'll email you a copy of the Lim 1/2A proposal, the Open 1/2A rules are available from the home page.
AirWaveUS

Post by AirWaveUS »

Well I am a new member but I was never given a password so I am not able to view the members section anyway... Since this is my first request I will say Please.... Roy send me my password :)

thanks all

Bruce
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AirWaveUS</i>
<br />Well I am a new member but I was never given a password so I am not able to view the members section anyway... Since this is my first request I will say Please.... Roy send me my password :)

thanks all

Bruce
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Check your email.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Today we had a beautiful 60+ degree day, clear skies and light to moderate winds - a perfect day to fly combat.

Chris Dover and I were the only ones at the field with combat planes but we put them up several times to get in some practice. Here is what we looked like:

<center>Image</center>

Chris was flying a Hat Trick Arrow with an AP .061. I had a brand new Lanier RC 1/2A Plane with a Norvel .061 AME on the nose.

We hit wing to wing in the third flight which knocked off my wing and broke the hold down dowels ending my flying for the day but Chris'plane was fine and ready to go again.

This is a good type of combat. The engines are going to be the biggest hurdle because they are not plentiful and tuning them requires a new set of skills.

My plane was less than 15 ounces and could have used some more armor. One nice thing about the Lanier design is that the ply plates over the top and bottom of the wing center can have pockets cut out of them without losing strength. I put both the battery and the receiver into the wing (Polk Seeker 6 receiver), and it worked out well.

I look forward to flying a lot of combat practice with these planes this year.
Thaman

Post by Thaman »

had a blast today i guess any day flying combat is a good day :)
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

any performance data on the AP? prop, rpm, fuel? what was all-up weight of Chris' Arrow? thanks
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Scott,
We didn't do any testing today. Chris'plane is in the 17 ounce range, mine in the 15s. We are not getting the rpms that you are achieving with your engines.

At the beginning of the day I was having inconsistent engine runs with the Norvel. It would quit in the air, sounding lean. On landing the engine was cool and I am guessing the glow plug was never hot enough. I changed to the standard Norvel glow plug (from the Galbreath)and removed one head shim. It ran much better after doing this and would hold its setting in the air.

I think the glow driver has to put out about 1.5 volts to get the plug hot enough to run consistently. Removing the shim caused compression and heat to go up making the engine run hotter and therefore more consistently is what I am guessing happened.

We still want to try the Grish Tornado 5X3 but cannot locate them. We did try an APC 6X2 on Chris's plane but didn't feel it performed well enough to continue flying it.