Growing 2548

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Father O 5

Growing 2548

Post by Father O 5 »

First post so go easy on me.

I have reviewed most of the posts on the forum, especially those concerning scale combat and am extremely excited to be entering into (for me) a new sport. I have seen where several demos have been flown using the 2548 aircraft, usually at combat meets that were already scheduled.

Has anyone considered a "barnstorming tour" of some sort. Possibly visit one club a month in your state (after setting a date with the club). Call it a fun fly with a combat emphasis. Here in Georgia alone there are 50 clubs listed on the AMA District V site.

After the article in Model Aviation, now is a perfect time to start expanding and bringing in new people.

Every year at Top Gun they fly demos at lunch. How about rounding up 8-10 2548 ships and getting them to Florida. Let the best pilots in the world fly them against each other. Admittedly you would be letting someone else thrash you equipment but you could not get better publicity than at that event. That should also be done at Joe Noll and maybe some electric at the NEAT Fair.

Another oportunity for the growth of combat would be to contact Tower Hobbies and have a RCCA flyer of some sort included with every Great Planes 1/12 Coursair and Mustang and with the Lanier R/C SSC ships.

I have a degree in Marketing that I have never used, can you tell?

I know that the issue with any effort is manpower and volunteers are necessary in any endevor such as this. The guys who have been doing it a while get burned out (beautiful "up the river" post by the way), and new guys have to get involved. You can only fire up so many people at your home club. Time to make some inroads in new areas.

I look forward to working with all of you to see what we can do to grow combat and am whittling foam whenever I can to get some birds in the air.

Thanks for listening.
Don Pruitt

Post by Don Pruitt »

Mike,
Welcome to the RCCA and the combat community. It is great to see some interest from down in the Macon Warner Robins area. Back in the 60’s I lived in Warner Robins and worked at the AFB. We did a lot of control line down at the Macon city park and that is where I started flying RC. I have a lot of good memories from that era. All my children were born in Warner Robins. Must be something in the water down there.

You expressed some interest in 2548. What clubs have you visited in the area that was active in 2548? I live in the Atlanta area and fly at Hill Top Flyers in Loganville. We promote and fly a lot of SSC and our neighboring club, Georgia Model Aviators (GMA) in Alpharetta, does the same for B and the other classes.

You have some good ideas on promoting combat and I will share my thoughts and experience with you in some of the areas you mention.

In the last few years I have initiated or have been part of numerous “barnstormingâ€
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

Don,

Thanks for the response. Good to know some of the history of the recruitment effort.

I am planning on putting a couple of SSC ships together to tangle with you guys up in Loganville. My dad and myself (I am 38) are just getting back into flying after about 10 years out and dragging my two younger brothers in with us. We used to fly alot of control line (primarily stunt and stand off scale including my dad's 72" Super Constelation) and are just getting into the R/C stuff.

If all goes well I would like to start a quarterly event down here in Middle Ga, maybe scheduled for the month following your events up there. I know that being a CD can be a challenge and will certainly look to you when the time comes for that.

I know that they have just started flying some e-combat down at Hodges Hobbies so there may be some members down there that may be brought into the fold.

Count me in for the tables at the Modeling Show. Glad to help out. Are you going to post some form of sign up schedule or are you just handling it and will take bathroom breaks whenever some one shows up to relieve you?
Bender

Post by Bender »

Mike,
Thanks for wonderful idea to fly demo 2548 during Top Gun 2006
Reality is: our group AMOCS ( www.amocs.com ) were ready to spend several month to convert combat scale model into scale model - legal to fly at this event.
Flying combat demo is much better to show what real combat models can do.

Serg RCCA#635
Don Pruitt

Post by Don Pruitt »

Mike,
We haven’t made up a schedule yet. When we do I will be back in touch and we will work out some times.

Thanks
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

TOP GUN COMBAT DEMO IS ON

If you want to fly in the demo please contact me at (561) 723-2440.

I was told that you couldn't make it this year Don, so I contacted Frank and started asking around for pilots. So far have a few from the Fl. area, but little response from elsewhere.

As far as TOP GUN is concerned, they don't care if we fly scale planes or not. He just wants an exciting show.

I fly both scale and non scale combat so am prepared to do both at the demo. If enough guys bring scale planes, then I'll put mine up too. Same as last year, the more the merrier, but need to know if you want a room so Frank can make reservations.

What freq are you on? Can you come for Sat. and Sun?